Why do Americans hate soccer (football)?

• Favorite Answer

Americans are in love with giants smashing into each other and knocking each other brains out, soccer, which is played with a lot of skill as well as endurance, not physical strength. We prefer watching a hard collision than Lionel Messi pirouette through a defense. In the eyes of Americans, the finesse of soccer makes it boring and the players seem like panzies. As well, the 90 minute time period with onky a few goals per game makes the average viewer weary if they dont know whats going on. American football has 6 points for a touchdown, which can be scored on any play, giving an aura of explosivness, while soocer takes more time generally to set up a goal. A game of soccer that ends 7-6 is a classic goal-fest, while in American football, that is an incredibly low scoring, boring game.

l The game is gathering more of a following, but it won't become as widely followed as most Other countries because our best athletes are playing American football or basketball, so our teams won't be on the level of the giants like Brazil or Spain

I wouldn't say that Americans hate soccer. After all, there are lots of soccer camps in America. But I think what you mean is that why do Americans not watch soccer. Well, it's kind of complicated, but here's the story.

In soccer, there are no commercials until halftime. The media HATES that because they can't make their money from advertisements on soccer games. The advertisements in soccer are on the wall around the pitch and advertisements in American sports (like football) are thrown in every time they can get.

There's several commercial breaks in American football. I've actually calculated it and I discovered that it takes 3 hrs. (yes, 3 hrs.) to play 1 hr. of football. RIDICULOUS! I was so annoyed with commercials every time it changed possessions. But in soccer commercials are awesome because they only happen at the half.

So, in a nutshell, the media hates soccer, not Americans.

I personally think Americans dont like Losing, soccer is a sport thet they will never be the best at and so the "hate" on the fact they cant win. Also soccer is a "poor people sport" if u take a look at Brazil most if not all players were very very poor before comming famous, also soccer doesnt take much to be played all u need is a round object that bounces and some space... thats it, other sports you need a court or that specific ball and team players, soccer can b played by yourself with a ball that bounces.

Pluse americans dnt put in enough practice to be good, to be good at soccer you need to constantly play it almost every day but im sure everybody can run and catch a ball when thrown to u.

Think about this, every soccer player can play multiple sports. But you will never see a Basketball or football player be good at soccer no matter how fast they are. (btw steve nash was a soccer player before he has a NBA player which proves my point, he actually ddnt start playing basket ball untill late in his life)

Source(s): exp

I'm English but now live in the states.

Back in England that's all we played

My conclusion is that

1 There's other sports that are just more popular than footy here. If pro you make more $$$ from American football, baseball, basketball which are considered true American past times and are (American sports).

2 I've seen that footy is played by more females (not a bad thing) than males here.

If you were a great athlete in school in the USA the chances of you wanting to play footy over the other 'top American sports' are slim

Correct me if I'm wrong

I LOVE SOCCER! Not all americans hate soccer a lot actually love soccer

Americans love football. Its a religion here.

1.Baseball fans are the most haters. 2. Game rules are decided by a "foreign" entity (FIFA) as well the Supreme championship - World Cup. (Same thing as F1 car race) 3. Can advertise as usual in a 90 minutes match. 4. Americans do not have the will to do it as they didn't with the metric system (un-American to change to a non native thing)

Its too long without enough scoring. Most possessions end up out of bounds or in turnovers slows down the game. The main reason I dont like it is the flopping one of the big reasons I also no longer watch NBA games. I cant believe someone just grazed me I better fall down and cry for an hour.

• Dr. J.

we dont hate soccer, we hate soccer people. Every freaking weekend in the parks, or anywhere they can kick a ball. Soccer moms on the other hand... :)

I'm American and i hate it because it's boring to see people run around a field for 90 minutes without scoring