Was I wrong to Harm my Roommate?

Before judging me, please read my entire question.

I work on a cruise ship in entertainment, and one of the requirements of my position is that I share a room with another team member. We still get a cabin steward, private bath, and air conditioning, but it can be annoying with the condensed space. I found out my roommate I was being assigned to was a 60 year-old weirdo named Charles. He was a keyboard player for the band. The reason he was weird and annoying was because he didn’t have a social life outside of work. He never went to the crew bar, never socialized with anybody except during work, was always in his own world and was just a creep over-all. Even if he passed by his own band colleagues in the bar, he would say NOTHING to them and keep walking. The asshole. Why the hell I wound up with him lord only knows. As a 26 year-old male though who does go out to the bars and socializes, this was not fair. On top of this, he NEVER left the room. If he wasn’t working, he was in there. I always was working more hours then him, so I was out mostly working or partying. When I would come back, he was always there. It would have been nice if he had gotten out more.

The thing that bothered me most about Charles was his weird and compulsive nature when he slept at night. He never could just stay in bed and sleep. Every hour he would get up and go to the bathroom, cough and mumble to himself and rearrange sheet music in his closet. Did he not realize I was asleep? He woke me up all the damn time doing these things. Because I had to get up at 8am every day while he got to sleep in till the evening, perhaps he didn’t think this was a problem. But it’s common ******* sense! Oh, and he would take chips out and eat them in bed, and the sound of his crunching was so loud. I even wore earplugs but could still hear him.

One night around 4am, I was dead asleep and then I heard it. The sound of the old man mumbling, clearing his throat, and then getting up. We had a bunk bed, and he slept atop of me. This did it. I could not stand it anymore. As I saw his frail body slowly descending the bunk bed latter, I noticed he was only in his underwear, his thin and aging legs looking right at me. I suddenly had an urge to teach him a lesson for always waking me during my sleep.

I took both of my feet and forcefully thrust them forward, firmly kicking him square in the knees as hard as I could. I am about 280 pounds, and Charles was a skinny and frail 135 pounds, almost sixty years old to my 26 year-old age. The sound that emerged from his body was one I think only a sick bastard could make. He screamed out in pain and fell off the latter, smashing into the desk and then to the floor.

“God ******* dammit, you son of a *****!” This was the most I had ever heard Charles speak, as normally he would talk to himself backstage and not socialize. He cusped his legs and was actually crying. “My knees! I can’t move my ******* knees, you monster!” Then he passed out. Security knocked on my door to find out what happened. I tried telling them I was sleeping and didn’t realize I had kicked him, but when Charles regained consciousness he accused me of abusing him. I stuck to my story and claimed I was asleep, and my cruise director made me switch rooms and told me she would have to talk to the staff captain and chief of security. Charles wanted to press charges. Apparently the kick to the knees caused him some damage, and because of his age he is still in pain. He also had to be sent home on medical leave, due to the damage I apparently caused to his legs- and the doctor now questions if he’ll even be able to walk again.

The company found out through the medical office that he also hurt his head when he fell, and I’m now on suspension until further notice. What do I do? No one can prove what I really did. And sorry, he was an eccentric old loser who deserved what he got, and he had no respect for other people’s peace and quiet. He should have known not to eat chips at 2am when I’m trying to sleep, to stop organizing music and mumbling at all hours of the night. To me, that kick to the knees should have been a wakeup call. But apparently I’m the bad guy in the situation, even though Charles was an anti-social sicko and I was the social life of the cruise. Was I wrong to do this?

• JoN
    Favorite Answer

Hyperextending someones knees is a serious trauma, some self defense disciplines teach it to disable opponents. It's quite sadistic, but who knows.... maybe I'd have done the same thing.

... -___________- I have no sympathy for you.

There's a little something called communication. If he was really bothering you that much, you should have told him. If he couldn't do anything about it, you should have told the cruise director or your employer that it was really bothering you and interfering with your work. I don't understand why that would be so hard, and even if the couldn't do anything about it, you guys would just have to come up with some kind of compromise. It was part of your job to room with a stranger, it sounds to me like that's a typical situation, and you handled it wrong.

I mean no disrespect but the people that answer questions don't get paid to be a psychiatrist.

What you need to do is reduce your question to a few paragraphs (1 -2), when you perform the latter more people will respond.

God bless'

answer: yes you were wrong and were a spoiled, immature brat that committed assault and battery on a frail old man.

If you happen to avoid jail or getting fired (which I hope both happens) and you don't like your next roommate - sleep in a covered lifeboat

There is nothing wrong with Charles. Its all you. You defiantly have issues with other people who don't do what you do. From the abundance of the heart a man speaks.

you were very insensitive and cruel to do something like that i don't understand why someone would be that cruel. why didn't you just go to the gentleman and try and talk to him before things got that far remember God doesn't like ugly and i believe that people who do such things will have something bad to happen to them on down the road.

• ?

The man is entitled to his private life. Get over it. You sound like a jackass.

WOT means you are guilty.

Enjoy being someone's b**** in prison.

• Kevin7

Yes it is abusive and wrong

• Anne C

Bunny says live by yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQqNVw5152w

Youtube thumbnail