I live in WI but work in MN, how do taxes work for this?

I also had a job in WI before I moved. I'm a bit confused. Someone please explain what exactly I need to file.

Favorite Answer

A few years ago, this would've been much easier but the reciprocity agreement between MN and WI ended in 2009.

1) Regardless of how many jobs you have, you only file one federal return as normal.

2) You need to file a "non resident" Minnesota return.

3) You then file a resident Wisconsin return. Wisconsin will give you a credit for the your net tax liability in Minnesota.

It is not terribly complex but multi-state returns are normally a bit much for the average person so you may want to see a tax professional.

Source(s): EA in MN.