Caia asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 8 years ago

Do soldiers in infantry have to have dog tag tattoos?

At a recent family function, my one cousin was showing me some tattoos. He showed me the one on his ribs, and I don't remember it looking like dog tags, but I remember it had all that info: full name, DOB, blood type, religion, and maybe something else. He said that all soldiers in infantry have to get them so they can identify their bodies. I thought it was pretty cool, so I looked it up online, and I can see a couple photos sort of similar to his, but I can't find anything about it being mandatory.

Is it mandatory? Or was he pulling my leg/mistaken?

How is the military about freedom and having choices? You're constantly following the orders of someone higher up than you, and you do what you're told and what is best for your country, regardless of whether or not you feel like it. The military is a wonderful thing, but to say that you get to do whatever you please is incorrect.

He also said that it was because dog tags can be easily taken. I don't remember if he said it was absolutely mandatory for everyone, but I definitely remember him saying that alot of soldiers get them or are recommended to get them.

Apparently they're called "meat tags". Google them. Not mandatory, but lots get it for peace of mind.

Favorite Answer

No, it's not mandatory.

We carry dog tags for identification, no tattoos are required in the slightest.

Dog Tag Tattoos

No it's not mandatory. But it is possible his unit has decided as a group they wanted to go get this tattoo done. When men serve in an infantry unit together they usually build a pretty strong friendship and do alot the same as their buddies. So maybe he felt like he had to do it because all of his infantry friends were getting it done.

Absolutely not!

There is no requirement by any Service to have any of their troops tattooed.

And there is certainly no requirement to have tats in order to "identify" a body. We have regular dog tags and DNA to identify bodies.

He got this because he thought it looked cool as well, or his buddies all went out and got them, so he did as well .... or, is he even in the Service at all? What he said sounds like something some wannabe says to impress chicks and the relatives.

EDIT: he is still running off at the mouth. No one recommends that any troop get a tattoo. As far as identifying a body because the metal tags might be taken is asinine and reflects that he and his buddies don't actually know how the deceased are identified. While the metal tags are a help, final identification is always done via DNA match with the sample that all Servicemen and women provide.

Source(s): 23 years Regular Army; 4 years USAR / NG; actually wear my ID tags!

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

At a recent family function, my one cousin was showing me some tattoos. He showed me the one on his ribs, and I don't remember it looking like dog tags, but I remember it had all that info: full name, DOB, blood type, religion, and maybe something else. He said that all soldiers in infantry...

Source(s): soldiers infantry dog tag tattoos: https://biturl.im/FEzdp
  • Remy

Your cousin is - to use the vernacular - f*cking with you. Yes, dog tags are made to break and pull off and most military will go through a few sets, even in day-to-day wear. But the government can't force body modification on anyone. It's also a lot more sophisticated than that. Service members are identified through fingerprints and DNA.

No it is not mandatory, it is a fad many are apparently doing (and will regret in 30 years when all that information is a big unreadable blue blob on their chest. Also it means nothing, if the person gets killed they will go by their actual dog tags first and then confirm that with DNA the person had to have put in storage/on file when they joined.

• D

Hmmm I'm Infantry but yet don't have this.

• John U

Meat tags?

Now you are being retarded!

If you want to keep arguing that it is true then fine, don't come on here for a "Chat" You got your answers, they are the truth of the matter and if you don't want to believe it then go somewhere else with your inane lack of common sense.

I have never heard of such a thing.

Were I ordered to get a tattoo, I would refuse, period. On religious grounds to start with, but...

Source(s): 35 years Canadian Forces