Do soldiers in infantry have to have dog tag tattoos?

At a recent family function, my one cousin was showing me some tattoos. He showed me the one on his ribs, and I don't remember it looking like dog tags, but I remember it had all that info: full name, DOB, blood type, religion, and maybe something else. He said that all soldiers in infantry have to get them so... show more At a recent family function, my one cousin was showing me some tattoos. He showed me the one on his ribs, and I don't remember it looking like dog tags, but I remember it had all that info: full name, DOB, blood type, religion, and maybe something else. He said that all soldiers in infantry have to get them so they can identify their bodies. I thought it was pretty cool, so I looked it up online, and I can see a couple photos sort of similar to his, but I can't find anything about it being mandatory.

Is it mandatory? Or was he pulling my leg/mistaken?
Update: How is the military about freedom and having choices? You're constantly following the orders of someone higher up than you, and you do what you're told and what is best for your country, regardless of whether or not you feel like it. The military is a wonderful thing, but to say that you get to do whatever... show more How is the military about freedom and having choices? You're constantly following the orders of someone higher up than you, and you do what you're told and what is best for your country, regardless of whether or not you feel like it. The military is a wonderful thing, but to say that you get to do whatever you please is incorrect.

He also said that it was because dog tags can be easily taken. I don't remember if he said it was absolutely mandatory for everyone, but I definitely remember him saying that alot of soldiers get them or are recommended to get them.
Update 2: Apparently they're called "meat tags". Google them. Not mandatory, but lots get it for peace of mind.