Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureCultures & GroupsSenior Citizens · 9 years ago

Seniors, what are your thoughts regarding the careers of?

The original Not Ready For Prime Time Players: Dan Aykroyd, John Belushi, Chevy Chase, Jane Curtin, Garrett Morris, Lorraine Newman, Gilda Radner, and I'll include Bill Murray, as he was a regular for the first few years before becoming an actual member of the cast.

I find it striking that perhaps the most successful television career was that of Jane Curtin, who went on to star in two successful comedy series and was probably the most grounded of them all. She once said that the other cast members slept with each other, did drugs and lived dangerously, while she went home to her husband and her dog each night.

But there's a very special place in my heart for Gilda and Billy.

Derail, I was talking about Jane's television career, not her movies. She made a few, but no biggies.

Both Aykroyd and Murray were later nominated for Oscars - Aykroyd for Driving Miss Daisy and Murray for Lost in Translation.

http://www.videolog.tv/video.php?id=451266

Gilda and Steve Martin - a memorable moment.

• Dinah
    Favorite Answer

Well, Dan Aykroyd supplied much of the documentation for Ghost Busters from his extensive research, and when Belushi overdosed, he was asked to comment. He said something like Life Is The Ocean. Some of us are the rocks, unmoved by the tide. John wasn't so lucky. Have always admired him. John Belushi's work on SNL cracked me up, but didn't see his movies -- they weren't adult enough for me. Chevy Chase, regardless his ego, was great in the scene in the gopher golf course movie showing how he approached golf, those Zen sounds he made. Jane Curtin never cracked me up until she and Akroyd debating once, at their desks, and irate at his chauvinism, she ripped open her blouse to show her black bra. This might have been the same night he said, "Jane, you ignorant b*tch." I didn't like her well enough to watch her with Susan St. James. I wish Garrett Morris had gone on to do more. Lorraine Newman doesn't stand out for me. Gilda, oh Gilda! was priceless, and broke my heart, diagnosed and so soon dying after. And Bill Murray? I can't imagine the kind of person who wouldn't adore him. He did The Razor's Edge, I think was the title, a drama set in Europe where he tried to salvage a prostitute by giving her shelter and something to look forward to, a very stunning, profound performance, and everything else he's done. Liked him as the deep sea diver and as the camp counselor best. Lost in Translation was so very human.

This is what I get for not watching TV for the past twenty-five years. I had no idea Jane Curtin went on to a TV career and won a couple of Emmys to boot. But I'm glad to hear it. I always thought she was wickedly funny and didn't get as much of the spotlight as she deserved on SNL.

I loved that show. And part of its appeal, for me anyway, was that the cast acted like rock-and-roll royalty, and obviously loved to party. When the saxophone music would come up at the end and the ensemble would take their bows, laughing and hugging each other and I think sniffing a little from the cocaine they'd all just snorted, you could tell that the night was just beginning for them.

Gilda's death was such a tragedy, because that should never happen to anyone. Belushi's death was sad, but not exactly unexpected.

Bill Murray was always my favorite. His demented monologues as Carl Spackler in "Caddyshack" still make me laugh out loud.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lYm0c7gYyU

Youtube thumbnail

&feature=related

• Milton

Of the group, only Bill Murray and Chevy Chase went on to big sucesses as measured by the features they were in. Dan Ackroyd had a few second banana roles in films. John Belushi would have had staying power had he stayed but like a lot of other talented but unstable people in the industry, drugs were his god. Gilda Radnor may have become the new Joan Rivers had she lived. She was THAT good. The rest were good for a "Gee, wasn't he or she in the ealy SNL show?"

I loved the original SNL. Jane Curtain to me seemed the most grounded and has been married to the same person since 1975 and I've never seen anything negative about her in any tabloid. I find her very funny and a great straight man...perfect comedic timing and great deadpan expressions. Out of the surviving cast members the only one I have never really seen on TV or in movies is Lorraine Newman whereas the rest of them have all gone on to other TV shows and/or movies and have done quite well.

• jonds

Lot of drugs consumed by that group. I see Garrett Morris has a regular gig on a primetime show now. Dan Aykroyd is making vodka. Jane probably had the most sane life of the cast.

They struck a note in irreverent humor that spread like wild fire. As a group, they fed each other with even better material. What went on behind the scenes, had no impact on my personal life. Jane also said the men were mean to the women and good for her to stick in there. She let her career do the talking and more than ever, walked the walk.

Rest in Peace, Gilda. My favorite moments were when she would gross out Jane Curtin trying to do the news, talking about a blob of goo coming out of her nose.

I guess I'm not a big fan of comedy. The comedy I like is different from the above listed. Jane C was my favorite but not from her comedy. Dan, John, and Chevy are not entertainers that I enjoy. My husband has every movie that Chevy Chase ever made and loves them. Just different tastes.

• Derail

I have to disagree over the career successes. Aykroyd, Murray and Chase had more contracts and movie time over Jane Curtain.

• Larry

Chevy Chase has had the best career of them all.The 'Vacation" movies plus "Fletch" and others.I don't know anything about the personal lives of stars except those who flaunt it.