Hi fellow seniors, have you ever broken a limb?

Oh I have twice, the same leg too.

This was years ago when as a child I was on a swing and fell off. Five years after that I slipped and fell on the ice and fractured the same leg only a little lower down, ooh the pain.

http://www.acc.umu.se/~zqad/cats/1263583620-000355...

Have you been the victim of an unfortunate accident and broken anything ?

• Joan
    Favorite Answer

Many years ago, when I was 18, I broke my patella (knee cap). I was driving my work's van and was supposed to go round a bend in the road. Unfortunately, unbeknown to me at the time, a lorry had jackknifed on the bend a short while before and there was oil on the road. The van skidded into a stone wall.

This was in the days before seat belts so, on impact, my chest thumped into the steering wheel and the windscreen flew out. I was taken to hospital where my leg was put in plaster from toe to thigh and, over the next weeks, my whole body went from being a mass of black, blue, green and yellow. ha ha.

I also had 5 stitches under my chin and I still have the scar today. I call it my war wound.

Still, it could have been worse.

• Dede H

.Of course, at 2 years old I broke my left ankle, At 34 years old I fell on the ice and broke my left . elbow, A doctor who specialized in repairing shattered bones told me I would probably have a gimp arm for the rest of my life, meaning the arm wouldn't be able to straighten out, I wouldn't be able to lift any weight or hold on to packages etc. He was wrong about that. The arm straightens with no problem and I can carry the same weight as my right arm. If the scar wasn't still there I would probably forget which elbow I was broken. Last but not least 10 years ago when I was 50 years old I fell off my bicycle and broke my left kneecap. Several days later the nurse put on a cast from my thigh to my toes, I was expecting only a knee cast. The pain was terrible, but even worse was the feeling of claustrophobia as if my whole body was enclosed by that cast. For a long time I kept on going over and over the accident, what I should have done, what went wrong etc. Finally decided I wouldn't ride a bike again, it just wasn't worth it.

Poor little kitty. Yes, I had just moved into a new apartment and left the window open one night when it rained, and I didn't know about the little depression in the kitchen floor, where I slipped and fell on my way to the bathroom. I knew right away my arm was broken and broken badly. Oh, my, it hurt. I had to call my boss, who sent someone to get me and take me to the hospital. Since it never mended properly, I had to have two operations, the second of which was to put staples of some sort to hold the bones together. It hurts now when the weather changes, but that's about it. I've got a huge ugly scar on my upper left arm and it can set off alarms at the airport. I feel very special, lol.

http://www.gocomics.com/moderately-confused/2012/0...

Yes, a broken wrist when I was about 7. I fell off a little chair on the lawn. The last break was about 11 years ago. I slipped off the icy front porch and broke my left shoulder.

I have been very cautious since that incident. It took a long time to recover from that accident.

• Bear

All the bones in 4 toes.

Crushed 2 fingers and a knuckle.

Snapped femur,bone came through the flesh,have a large plate in the leg + 3cm shorter than it was.

Multiple fractures of 1 humerus.Not funny at all. Haha.

Luckily,I did it all in one go.

@ gee bee - Take one blind b*tch of a driver in her car. + 1 bloke on a Triumph Bonneville 750 + 1 tree + 1 brick wall + 1 somersault still attached to bike = 4 months in a hospital bed + 9 months not walking + 18 months off work + 28 years of arthritis and rheumatics.

If I can still smile when I'm granddad Thomas' age,I'll be happy enough.

• Hobby

Touch Wood! Only suffered from a crack on the left hand when I toppled over the door mat near the bathroom! I fell down and couldn't get up! I started swooning! My brain was cautioning me that I was all alone in the house and that I should immediately call up somebody for help. Somehow with agony and pain I reached the land line phone and called up my niece. She started talking to me sweetly enquiring about the incident. I told her that it was not the time to go into details and I swooned. Niece arrived after a few minutes since she was living nearby! She rang the calling bell but I couldn't get up to go and open the door. Again my brain alerted me and made me open the door. I was rushed to the hospital. Again under agony I allowed myself to be x-rayed. The result came out and for about a month or so my left hand was resting in a sling. After the removal of the plaster, I was slightly better but couldn't lift up the hand above my shoulder level. Physiotherapy helped me and now everything is past memory.

Thank you for stroking the old memories!

• Frank

Yes, I broke a bone in my foot about 14 years ago and broke my wrist very badly indeed 2 years ago when I fell on the snow. I had to have a big operation to fix that and would not now pass the metal detector at airports. That was a very painful time and my hand has not worked properly since then.

When I was 26, I fell down the stairs and broke my ankle. I tripped because my jeans were too long. I was crying so hard but managed to tell my 3 yr. old daughter to get the Dr. who lived next door. It was a townhouse and his door was right next to ours. The policeman who lived on the other side heard the commotion and came over. The Dr. told him he needed to get me to his office and the policeman said well then let's do it and simply picked me up and carried to the Dr's car. He carried me up 5 steps. Then when i was 43, I fell off a disappearing stairs, the kind that go up to an attic, and broke my sacrum. What an awful sound and the pain was unbearable. The Dr. gave me a choice to let it heal on it's own and take the chance that it would not heal straight or have pins put in to insure proper alignment. He said that either way I would be in pain for a yr. So as not to inconvenience my then-husband I chose not to have the surgery. Over a yr later I had a pain free day and it happened to be my 45th birthday. I felt so free not having pain that i thought I could do anything. My daughter and her boyfriend were going tobogganing and asked if I wanted to go but insisted that I only watch. This was a ski resort and I watched from the building drinking hot chocolate until I couldn't stand it anymore. It was my birthday and I wanted to have some fun. I went down the hill twice and loved it and to this day I regret the the 3rd time. I hit a hard clump, flew up, came down and broke it again. The kids could see from the top of the hill that I was crying notified the rescue teem who stopped the sledders and came down and put me on a rescue sled. My toboggan flew so hard it took them awhile to find it. My Dr. was actually angry with me but not as angry as I was with myself. Another yr of pain.

As a child - I accidentally put both legs into one pyjama leg, then fell over, and broke my tibia/ fibula . All I remember is being in a big cast, and being scared when it came off, that the lady with the saw was going to cut into my leg.

In my 20's, I was in a car accident. Had the seat belt on but it was loose ( in those non-retractable days). My body was thrown forward, seat belt stayed where it was. Ended up with a full set of broken ribs in the shape of the seat belt. Wow, did that hurt - thought I was going to die !

Not a limb, Lily.

I've been stitched many a time by medics with needles - and at the latest count, have some 50 or 51 stitches sewn together - holding my skin tissue in one piece - but have luckily - so far - avoided broken bones.

Excepting, of course - a couple of occasions when I hit the deck faster than Newtonian gravity allows for - and broken 2 or 3 ribs. (Call it 5 or 6 altogether - I've lost count.)

A bit painful - but more embarrassing than anything else.

But arms and legs - so far - are injury free - lucky me !

; ))