do jehovah witnesses baptize in the name of the father, the son and holy spirit or jehovah's name?

I asked this because I ask a jehovah witnesses about the baptism and he didn't answer me if they baptize in the name of the father,the son and the holy spirit or jehovah's name?

16 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago
    Best Answer

JW baptismal candidates have to be able to say "Yes" to the following two questions:

"(1) On the basis of the sacrifice of Jesus Christ, have you repented of your sins and dedicated yourself to Jehovah to do his will?

(2) Do you understand that your dedication and baptism identify you as one of Jehovah's Witnesses in association with God's spirit-directed organization?"

If you think about it, saying "Yes" to No. 1 does NOT necessarily mean that No. 2 follows. Anybody can repent of their sins on the basis of Christ's sacrifice, and dedicate themselves to Jehovah God!

Only if you allow JWs to then baptise you are you committing yourself to No. 2, which is not identifying you as a Christian but as an associate of an organization. Jesus said to baptize in the [singular] name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. Jehovah's Witnesses are effectively baptized in the name of the Father, the Son and the organization. No. 2 is critically important to the JWs because they equate obedient support of their organization as essential to salvation. This is from another Watchtower magazine:

"Your attitude towards the wheatlike anointed 'brothers' of Christ [the 144,000] and the treatment you accord them will be the determining factor as to whether you go into 'everlasting cutting-off' or receive everlasting life. Prove yourself to be a loyal companion of the anointed 'wheat' class, the 'faithful and discreet slave,' whom Christ has appointed to provide spiritual food at the proper time. Keep active in the ingathering work..." (1 August 1981 p 26 para 20)

The actual baptism is total water immersion as a public declaration that you have dedicated yourself to Jehovah to do his will. Just before dipping the candidate under the water, the words of Matthew 28 are repeated, "I baptise you in the name of the Father, the Son and the holy spirit", but the pre-baptismal talk will have made sure to include a proviso - that such a statement does NOT mean belief in the Trinity doctrine - that the singular name is significant.

It is true that the JWs place much more importance on the name 'Jehovah' than on the name 'Jesus' but they do not say they baptize in the name of Jehovah because they know there is no scriptural warrant or precedent for doing that.

EDIT - Thank you to BAR for putting me right with "JWs do baptize "in the name of the Father, son and holy spirit." Belief in all thee is a requirement for Witnesses and knowledge of what it means to be baptized into the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit is something which is demanded of every Witness before they are baptized."

I see that this means agreeing with JW doctrine on who they say Jehovah, Jesus, and holy spirit are, and that the actual statement is not made at baptism. (I thought it was, but BAR says it isn't.) I also see that JW baptism is said to be utterly exclusive in identifying the JW religion as the only Christian religion on the earth. This means that JWs deny that any baptism other than theirs is truly done "in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit." Interesting.

• Karen
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/axycu

They do repeat the formula at baptisms, declaring that the person is being baptised "In the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit." What JWs will not be so keen to tell the public, however, is that they make it abundantly clear to all prospective baptismal candidates prior to baptism, that to make such a declaration is NOT to profess belief in the Trinity doctrine. They instruct interested people that the Father is called Jehovah, the Son is called Jesus Christ, and the Holy Spirit is merely 'holy spirit', or energy from God, like electricity, supplies of which can be obtained by doing certain things. Thus, 'holy spirit' does not actually have a name, because only persons have names. That, in itself, proves their repetition of the baptismal formula to be invalid. No JW is ever baptised in the name (singular) of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. They can only ever be baptised in the name of Jehovah and in the name of Jesus Christ, according to their own theology.

• Cheryl
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Is Father a name? Is Son a name? Is Holy Ghost a name? Every time the Bible records the name or formula associated with an actual baptism in the New Testament church, it describes the name Jesus. "They were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus" (Acts 8:16). "And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord" (Acts 10:48). "They were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus" (Acts 19:5). Matthew 28:19 was a command by Jesus to baptize in the NAME. The Apostles did not repeat the word of the command, but they did obey it as seen in the scriptures above. Since Father, Son, and Holy Ghost are titles of the manifestations of the Almighty Spirit and His body, the Apostles understood His SAVING NAME to be JESUS. Can any dare say that the Apostles disobeyed the Lord, or failed to baptize properly? THE NAME OF THE FATHER, SON, AND HOLY GHOST IS LORD JESUS CHRIST. The actions of the Apostles in the Book of Acts prove this to be true. Should anyone dare to change what CHRIST and the Apostles established?(See Galatians 1:8-9) God bless! Archie Oneness Pentecostal

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

do jehovah witnesses baptize in the name of the father, the son and holy spirit or jehovah's name?

I asked this because I ask a jehovah witnesses about the baptism and he didn't answer me if they baptize in the name of the father,the son and the holy spirit or jehovah's name?

Source(s): jehovah witnesses baptize father son holy spirit jehovah 39 name: https://tr.im/bIHSD
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • daviss
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Jehovah Witness Baptism

• 4 years ago

I don t know how they baptize, but there is no salvation under heaven in any other name but the name of Jesus Christ(Acts 4:12). There is no one in the bible who was ever baptized in any other name in the bible but the name of Jesus Christ(Acts 2:38). This is because the disciples had the revelation as concerning to what the name of the father is? The name of the Father is Jesus. Remember the Lord Jesus told us the he came in the name of the Father. He and the father are one, not three in one. The name of the Father is Jesus. The name of the Son is Jesus. The name of the Holy Ghost is Jesus.

If anyone shows me where anyone was baptized in any other name after the death of Christ in the bible I will give him $USD 22 000.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

The simple and straightforward answer is "No" they don't

Edit: Sasi gave the actual questions asked before Baptism and it is noted that they are not Baptized in the name of the Father Son and Holy Spirit they are baptized in the Name of the Father The Son and The Organization and every Witness asked will come on here and bold faced lie about it

• 8 years ago

We do exactly as Jesus said... baptize in the name of the father (Jehovah), the son (Jesus) and with Jehovah's holy spirit.

We believe in full immersion baptism, exactly as Jesus was baptized.

• 5 years ago

I am trying to find out myself, how do the Jehovah Witnesses baptize?

Jesus gave peter the keys to the Kingdom.(Matt. 16:19)Then on the Day

of Pentecost, after his preaching a question was asked, "Men and brethern, "What shall we do? WHAT SHALL WE DO?(Acts 2:37)"Then Peter said unto them, REPENT, AND BE BAPTIZED EVERYONE OF YOU IN THE NAME OF JESUS CHRIST FOR THE REMISSION OF SINS, AND YE SHALL RECEIVE THE GIFT OF THE HOLY GHOST".

(Acts 2:38) For it says in (Acts 22:16) "AND NOW WHY TARRIEST THOU? ARISE, AND BE BAPTIZED, AND WASH AWAY THY SINS, CALLING ON THE NAME OF THE LORD." Read Acts 4:12.

• Anthony4 years agoReport

Truth!!!! Thank you! You need to be baptized in the NAME of Jesus!

• janett
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

It's possible, but I am not convinced

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.