What's the difference between a storage device and a storage medium?

...or are they the same thing?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

It`s a good question there is a difference but it`s tricky. Storage device is something that you can store data on it like pen drive, external hardisk, internal hardisk and cd/dvd.On the other hand storage medium is where to put them into your storage device like cd for example its a storage device but the medium is cd or dvd .Hard disk is a storage device but the medium is solid state disks.It`s not so easy to explane but I think that you now have a better idea of the difference .

• 3 years ago

Storage Mediums

• 5 years ago

A storage device is almost always an input device for example a DVD drive. A storage medium mostly input too but they are used get inserted into a storage device and get the data from the computer or display it on the monitor screen. For example a DVD (storage medium) is inserted in a DVD drive (storage device)

• 4 years ago

The storage medium is a chip or physical material on which data, instructions and information are stored(e.g floppy disks, optical discs, hard disks, etc.) whereas the storage device is a computer hardware that records and / or retrieves items to and from storage media (e.g RAM, floppy drives, ZIP drives, and other disks drive)

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago

storage device is the device u use to store the data required.but the storage medium is exactly the technical name given to that device.it has a very tiny defference.

• 3 years ago

Media is what holds the information, e.g. disk platen, CD, magnetic stripe.

Device is what uses the media and provides a physical interface.

• 4 years ago

the media is what the information is stored on i.e. a cd. the device is the hardware that recored the media, i.e. a cd burner

• 4 years ago

Yeah very very dump guys

• 8 years ago

Same ting

• 6 years ago

no ******* clue what you just said. sounds exactally the same to me

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.