Why can't the Arab Gulf countries follow the foot steps of Singapore?

Singapore, in my opinion, is probably the country with the brightest future. It is a country that has quite a lot of similarities with the khaleeji countries, although it does have many distinct large differences as well. The similarities between Singapore and the Gulf: Singapore is a small country, with a... show more Singapore, in my opinion, is probably the country with the brightest future. It is a country that has quite a lot of similarities with the khaleeji countries, although it does have many distinct large differences as well.

The similarities between Singapore and the Gulf:

Singapore is a small country, with a small local population. Singapore has a large amount of foreign expats. The taxes are low, and she has one of the freest economies in the world, singapore is a travel hub, like many of the countries in the Khaleej.. Poverty is very rare on Singapore, as the ministry provide homes for the poor citizens. The government is very generous to it's citizens, like the khaleeji governments are

The differences between Singapore and the Gulf:

But the locals are still the majority of the population. As of 2011, the population of Singapore is 5.18 million people, of whom 3.25 million (63%) are citizens while the rest (37%) are permanent residents or foreign workers. Singapore, unlike the gulf, does not have a large amount of oil or gas. It's economy is the second freest in the world, only behind hong kong. The majority of citizens are very skilled, and don't rely on the governmental benefits. It's citizens don't need to travel outside of Singapore to get medical treatment, as Singapore is already a spot for medical tourism, unlike the Gulf. Singapore is the worlds third largest financial centre. Its economy is not dominated by one sector, it's very diverse...which is why it's a developed country. The Gulf countries economies are all 80 or more based on oil. Which is why it's not called a "developed country" by the united nation like Singapore is. Singapore is
Singapore has a great human rights record, unlike the gulf countries.

Well, as you can see there much more differences between the Khaleej and Singapore! I think we need to stop relying on so much oil, the only reason why we're so successful is because of the oil. Look at Singapore, we need to follow them! Right?
Update: Singapore doesn't have any oil! But it still is thriving lime crazy. Singapore's economy is very similar to western economies. The people of Singapore are very smart. It's citizens are not roaming around the malls, looking to go shopping some more, no! It's citizens are not lazy, they work hard.... show more Singapore doesn't have any oil! But it still is thriving lime crazy. Singapore's economy is very similar to western economies.

The people of Singapore are very smart. It's citizens are not roaming around the malls, looking to go shopping some more, no! It's citizens are not lazy, they work hard.
All that work payed of. I mean just look at it.. I don't see even Kuwait, my country, having a bright future. Nor the UAE, KSA, at all. The gulf citizens are just so lazy. Most of them. Not generalizing :)

:3)
5 answers 5