How do scientists genetically engineer viruses?

I mean, I know how they insert genes into other cells, but how do you they insert the modification, or gene, into the virus? What "language" do they use to do it?

I am really interested in this field, and would like to learn the concept.

Favorite Answer

Genetic engineering is a science of recombining DNA differently within the genes of organisms for beneficial purposes. Areas studied genetically are agriculture, medicine, and environmental engineering.

A Virologist isolates a particular virus and its gene within the DNA. The Isolated gene is then cut out. This particular gene is then injected into a bacterium or carrier cell. The host codes this gene into its own DNA thus making an artificial virus, this is cut from the host and used to create a vaccine.

Bacteria reproduce so rapidly making this an easy way to produce vaccines in great quantities.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virology

Source(s): Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo