nickname asked in PetsHorses · 9 years ago

Critique time! I finally managed to get some videos online :-)!?

I'm applying for a clinic at Equine Affaire in Columbus, OH so I had to make videos to submit. I thought I'd post them here to get a few different opinions on what I need to work on. I can take constructive criticism but please keep in mind I've only been riding this horse for about 6 weeks, before that he hadn't been ridden since last spring, and I've only had maybe 10 formal lessons in the last 5 years so I know my position needs work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKlbn9bYvb8

Youtube thumbnail

Thanks everyone, great comments so far! I feel pretty good right now because most of the things you guys are pointing out are things I'm already working on, so I'll just keep at it! I have always had a bad habit of keeping my hands too low, and the fact that I'm the first person to ever ride this horse hunt seat doesn't help my case! He definitely looks like a western horse with a hunt saddle on lol more impulsion at ALL gates is one of my main goals with him!

I usually do ride with a helmet but I don't keep my stuff at the barn (I've had bad experiences with people using, abusing, stealing, and ruining my equipment without permission) and I forgot it that day :-(. The deadline is Feb 15th so no time to make a new video, I really really hope that doesn't keep me from getting into any of the clinics I applied for. I applied for both Hollie McNeil clinics, Craig Cameron's clinic about setting specific goals for you and your horse, and the Mark Rashid clin

*Mark Rashid clinic on transitions.

• Favorite Answer

I strongly agree with wearing a helmet.

Secondly you are relying on the spurs to heavily to the point that you are turning your feet to far out. I would suggest losing the spurs and work on improving your leg aid. Spurs make a rider lazy period.

I would suggest:

Around the world. Have someone hold the horse as you sit on the horse bareback. Move and position yourself where you feet are hanging off the horse's left side. Then move and sit backwards on the horse and then to the horse right side before sliding back into home position. Keep doing working clockwise for a few minutes before working counter clockwise. ~Everybody could stand to use this every once in a while. It helps the rider gain better confidence with the horse and better balance.

I would suggest either riding in a saddle without stirrups for a few weeks or having someone lunge the horse while you ride without stirrups. Start off the first couple of weeks riding at a walk and then slowly progress into a trot and then a canter after you have mastered or feel confident with the other two gaits. This will help improve your leg muscles and will also fix your stirrup length.

No one keeps the stirrup lengths the same all the time. It is constantly going to be adjusted a lot.

When you are jumping they are going to be shorter, while in dressage they are going to be longer because the saddle is made to make you have a deeper seat.

I would also recommend having someone lunge the horse while you ride without reins. Keep your arms either out at shoulder length or keep your hands on your hips. Remember to sit up straight(not too tall or too slouchy.) Start off the first couple of weeks at a walk, then trot and finally a canter after a while.

This helps you build a better communication with your horse, so you don't have to rely on spurs and the reins.

Just remember when you are riding to keep your hands just a little bit above the horse's withers. Don't your hands down or stick your hands out. A horse's mouth is very sensitive.

In any riding competition you do that with the reins they could disqualify you or deduct points. Judges are very strict and scrutinize your riding down to every last detail of how you and your horse work together and how well you both communicate with each other.

Source(s): Grew up with very, very strict riding instructors My family was very strict when it came to riding.

Not bad, but here's some things to work on:

-pick up your hands, they need to be at least a hair above his withers. I know its tempting to drop them (i have a hunter who loves my hands low, so i have to watch out for this too!) but its an equitation flaw as well as can make a horse heavy and interfere with rein contact.

-try lengthening you stirrups. a longer leg will give you a more effective and independent seat, as well as make you look better and less cramped on the horse. For jumping and galloping, when you are off the horses back, you want short stirrups. For everything else, the longer the better (within reason!)

-You need to steady up your lower legs a bit, both in siting and posting. Try some no stirrup or bareback work to strengthen, and lengthening your stirrups will help as well.

-not a bad turn, but it was kind of a combo between a turn on the forehand and a rollback. For a rollback, your horse should more or less back and spin on his haunches, for a turn on the forehand he should come to a complete stop, not back and pivot his back end around his front

-you need a more forward walk

-remember you need to push, not pull, your horse into a working frame

-you should canter and where a helmet in an application video, to show what your horse can do and to make yourself look more professional.

Good Luck!

• ?

your hands are way too low and far out from your body you need to pick your hands up and bring them closer together keeping your elbows neatly tucked by your sides, you have too much movement with your arms really work on keeping them still, your feet slip in your irons a little bit be careful, also really work on getting a stronger leg and have more contact from you knees down on the horse there is alot of movement going on and it does not look tidy at all, really try to ride with one or the other spurs or a crop try not to use both i got royally freaked on at a show once for doing it, but other than that it was decent, really work on the horses impulsion and move him out a little bit more, his head is nice and low for western but just try to tip his nose in a little more and have a bit more contact on the reins to sharpen him up

First and most importantly: I strongly suggest wearing a helmet in the video you send it!

You look like you are leaning on your hands. You should take them up out of his neck and take your reins up a little. Then, make sure your hands follow the motion of his head. For English, that walk needs more impulsion too