In 1944,the black illegitimacy rate was at 11%...Now,it's at nearly 70%...Why is the current rate so high?

In An American Dilemma,Gunnar Myrdal reported(that in 1944)the black illegitimacy rate was at 11%...Now,it's nearly 70%.How many times have you heard the cause of(the current)black illegitimacy rate is racism?Now,how could racism be the cause,when in 1944,blacks faced much more discrimination,yet had lower illegitimacy rates?

Now since it's obviously not racism,what exactly is the cause of this?Most(if not all)conservatives would claim heavy government aid

• neet
    Favorite Answer

I'm sure it has to do with the fact that less people are getting married. In the 1940's, it was scandalous to have a child out of wedlock; today, it isn't.

I'd love to see your source, because even with the lower marriage rate, 70% seems rather high. I'd also like to see statistics on the white illegitimacy rates of the past and present. I guarantee you the white illegitimacy rate has at least doubled.

As far as conservatives blaming the black illegitimacy rate on "heavy government aid", less that 50% of black Americans receive aid, so (according to you) there's a higher illegitimacy rate, than the rate of blacks receiving aid - so that doesn't add up.

You state that it obviously isn't racism, but I beg to differ. Why are these conservative only concerned about the black illegitimacy rate, when the illegitimacy rate for all people has gone up? When you single out and complain about the illegitimacy rate in one race, and ignore the identical behavior in all others, that sounds like someones being racist to me.

The "illegitimacy rate" has dramatically increased with every group. I wonder why you conveniently left out the statistics for Whites and other minority groups. No offense but it sounds like you have an "agenda".

The asnwer to your question: Society as a whole has gone downhill significantly when it comes to morals. The Black Community has been hit harder due to being disproportionately affected by the Crack Epidemic.

• Tori

Poverty, lack of contraception? Maybe less abortions?

Black culture, inability to accept personal responsibility. The usual. What they don't understand is by getting uppity and yelling RACISM at everything is what is starting to make people racist in the first place.

Behold, it is the white man's fault! You did not know that? Behold!

-Black Pharaoh

• Mark

Where are your references for today's figures? 96.3728404809840% of "statistics" on Y!A are made up on the spot.

Edit: Well, where are they? Or "is it too much work", to get them? (I don't think you have any.)

once again whites are sticking their nose in black affairs, when will you people understand that we do not care about you as much as you all care about us. you all act as if yall are experts on the black community when you're not

It's complicated but long story short....WELFARE & FEMINISM

Free stuff, to spawn even more.

"Now it's at nearly 70%" - source please?

Source(s): (Also, why on earth would anyone thumbs-down a simple request for a source? Seriously? Baffled here.)