In 1944,the black illegitimacy rate was at 11%...Now,it's at nearly 70%...Why is the current rate so high?

In An American Dilemma,Gunnar Myrdal reported(that in 1944)the black illegitimacy rate was at 11%...Now,it's nearly 70%.How many times have you heard the cause of(the current)black illegitimacy rate is racism?Now,how could racism be the cause,when in 1944,blacks faced much more discrimination,yet had lower illegitimacy rates?

Now since it's obviously not racism,what exactly is the cause of this?Most(if not all)conservatives would claim heavy government aid

10 Answers

Relevance
  • neet
    Lv 6
    8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

I'm sure it has to do with the fact that less people are getting married. In the 1940's, it was scandalous to have a child out of wedlock; today, it isn't.

I'd love to see your source, because even with the lower marriage rate, 70% seems rather high. I'd also like to see statistics on the white illegitimacy rates of the past and present. I guarantee you the white illegitimacy rate has at least doubled.

As far as conservatives blaming the black illegitimacy rate on "heavy government aid", less that 50% of black Americans receive aid, so (according to you) there's a higher illegitimacy rate, than the rate of blacks receiving aid - so that doesn't add up.

You state that it obviously isn't racism, but I beg to differ. Why are these conservative only concerned about the black illegitimacy rate, when the illegitimacy rate for all people has gone up? When you single out and complain about the illegitimacy rate in one race, and ignore the identical behavior in all others, that sounds like someones being racist to me.

• ...Show all comments
    • The fact is the ones who are getting government aid are the ones with the ultra high illegitimate rate. Those with common values and two parent homes have fewer kids and are less likely to be getting government aid. .

• Login to reply the answers
  • 8 years ago

The "illegitimacy rate" has dramatically increased with every group. I wonder why you conveniently left out the statistics for Whites and other minority groups. No offense but it sounds like you have an "agenda".

The asnwer to your question: Society as a whole has gone downhill significantly when it comes to morals. The Black Community has been hit harder due to being disproportionately affected by the Crack Epidemic.

• ...Show all comments
    • Before Johnson's war on poverty Washington DC was the only area where illegitimacy births were higher than legitimate births. Today it is common in all cities.

• Tori
    Lv 5
    8 years ago

Poverty, lack of contraception? Maybe less abortions?

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

Black culture, inability to accept personal responsibility. The usual. What they don't understand is by getting uppity and yelling RACISM at everything is what is starting to make people racist in the first place.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 years ago

Behold, it is the white man's fault! You did not know that? Behold!

-Black Pharaoh

• Mark
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

Where are your references for today's figures? 96.3728404809840% of "statistics" on Y!A are made up on the spot.

Edit: Well, where are they? Or "is it too much work", to get them? (I don't think you have any.)

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

once again whites are sticking their nose in black affairs, when will you people understand that we do not care about you as much as you all care about us. you all act as if yall are experts on the black community when you're not

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

It's complicated but long story short....WELFARE & FEMINISM

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

Free stuff, to spawn even more.

• 8 years ago

"Now it's at nearly 70%" - source please?

Source(s): (Also, why on earth would anyone thumbs-down a simple request for a source? Seriously? Baffled here.)
    • It is now over 70% a breakdown by race.72.3 percent of non-Hispanic blacks are now born out-of-wedlock; 66.2 percent of American Indians/Alaska Natives; 53.3 percent of Hispanics; 29.1 percent of non-Hispanic whites; and 17.2 percent of Asians/Pacific Islanders.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.