Girls! Should I apologize? 10 PTS FIRST ANSWER?

Ok here's my situation. There's a really shy girl at my school who I liked. My friend Steve knew I liked her(I have NO idea how he found out), and he messaged her on Facebook and told her I liked her, and then he asked her if she liked me. She said no, she didn't like me.  Before Steve messaged her,... show more Ok here's my situation. There's a really shy girl at my school who I liked. My friend Steve knew I liked her(I have NO idea how he found out), and he messaged her on Facebook and told her I liked her, and then he asked her if she liked me. She said no, she didn't like me. 

Before Steve messaged her, me and this girl were slowly becoming friends. Now she's really awkward around me though and doesn't say much. Even if she doesn't "love" me back, I at least want to continue being friends. I feel so bad because I'm sure she feels awkward.

Would it be bad to go up and apologize? Here's what I'm considering saying.

"Hey, I just wanted to say I'm really sorry about what Steve did. I hope it doesn't make you feel awkward around me. I like you a lot, and i think you're a really awesome girl, but I'd be totally happy if we could just keep being friends. Could we?"

Is this ok?? I love her from the bottom of my my heart, and even if she doesn't love me back, I still want to be friends. She's a wonderful girl
5 answers 5