Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 8 years ago

Do I need to replace my rack and pinion with exactly whats in it?

I have a 97 chrysler lhs. It has the speed sensitive steering with the wires coming out of the rack and pinion. I need to replace it due to terrible steering play. I want to know if I can put a standard rack in this car and not hook up the wires. The price difference is over 100 dollars. The parts store says it will fit but will it work?

it has no slack in itself, its the part of it that mounts to the car is damaged and even new bushings didnt help. It shifts from side to side when steering, causing a "sloppy" wheel. I have to replace it in order to solve this.

Favorite Answer

I am kind of puzzled about this question,You may want to look into this a little more because I think that this car has a steering motor on it and that will be where the slack will be not the rack,I just don't think that the rack itself never get's slack in them because it has no gears inside them to wear,but don't take my word on this ,I can and have been known to be wrong.Get a second opinion on this,and also you may check with the dealership on this because Chrysler had a ton of recalls on this problem and it could be a free fix from them just saying. I use to own a 1994 LHS and they repaired some control arm on it and also a seat bracket at the same time for free because they were listed on the TSB and recall list.

• Dan B

That's impossible for us to say. I can assure you that the speed sensitive steering feature won't work. I really doubt the parts store person really knows either. You can unplug your current wiring to see what problems the OBDII displays or other steering problems that may appear. That would probably be the biggest issue. Usually, I've found that substitute parts will only fit if they are exact duplicates. If the parts person says it will fit, get a guarantee in writing that if it doesn't fit, you'll get 100% back of the purchase price. If you don't get that guarantee, then it probably won't fit - the parts person really doesn't know if it will fit for sure.

well it will work but you disconnect those sensors and your computer is going to give you hell

NO