How much money is required to buy retirement years in the post office if you retired from the military?

I was wondering how many years and how much money it would take to retire from the Post Office after retiring from the Military.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

$1,000,000.00 ?!

• Login to reply the answers
  • 8 years ago

If your retired military, you cannot buy into the civil service retirement system or the postal retirement system

Since you are already using your military service for retirement

2. You must work for 5 years to be vested in the Postal retirement system

And then your retirement pay starts at age 60

3. But to answer specifically, for a veteran to buy into the Federal retirement system when allowed, you must pay 4% of the base pay you earned, while in the military.

• 8 years ago

IF you are collecting a retirement check from the Military. You ARE NOT eligible to buy your time back into the USPS retirement system, since you are already being paid for that time.

If you could, and it is the same formula as Civil Service, it would cost you aprox 4% or your gross income that you made during your entire time in the Military. You would also have to give up your current retirement benefits if you bought into the USPS retirement system, It is not worth the effort.

The system is for people that did for example one enlistment and want to get credit for that four years toward retirement. Again it costs about 4% of what you earned while in the Military.

Source(s): Retired AF SNCO, Former Civil Service. WG-10
  • 3 years ago

until adjustments have been made that i do no longer understand approximately, two decades is the minimum volume of time somebody can serve interior the protection tension and then acquire complete advantages. interior the early to mid-Nineties, some provider individuals have been allowed to retire in the previous than that and take a lump sum besides as decreased advantages. My brother-in-regulation did that and that i think of he replaced right into a entire fool for doing it. He had 17 years of protection tension provider and 3 greater years does no longer have been that significant a deal for him. Like lots of people who did this, all he observed replaced into the lump sum. He did no longer completely think of through his determination and comprehend that interior the long-term, he may well be dropping out. My father retired from the protection tension interior the early Seventies after two decades of provider.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago

When did the post office start selling retirement? Is this a new item?

• Mrsjvb
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

are you talking about adding your military years to any federal government job for pension purposes?

you must work at said Gov't job a minimum of five years. then there is a formula used to determine how much each year of military service will cost to be calculated for a pension.

• 8 years ago

I would say 20 years..didnt know you could buy a retirement.

• 8 years ago

You would have to work at least five years before qualifying for any annuity. The cost would be deducted from your wages.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.