I fell in love with the wrong girl?

I hung out with a girl out of sympathy and she got the impression that I was leading her on, just because I was being nice to her. She has had a horrible past, and I just for some reason was the first one, she said, who she was able to be her self around and who ever understood her. But I mean, I just liked her as... show more I hung out with a girl out of sympathy and she got the impression that I was leading her on, just because I was being nice to her. She has had a horrible past, and I just for some reason was the first one, she said, who she was able to be her self around and who ever understood her. But I mean, I just liked her as a friend. I didn't find her attractive at all. But see, she and I hung out and went out on "dates" and we talked all the time, especially since we had the same engineering classes together. I slowly started developing feelings for her and then I stopped talking to her cause I didn't wanna fall for her. Now, I started talking to her and I feel like I am starting to fall hard. I CAN'T FALL IN LOVE WITH HER!!! She isn't the type of girl that I even like. And there is just something about all of this that doesn't give me a good feeling. But like I said, I am falling for her anyway... Why would this happen to me?

Its just that I know everything about her past, and I kinda look down upon it. Plus, she is being really clingy and idk like she sees me as her "hero" type person, when all I wanted to do is be nice!
Update: Well she did run away because I told her I would not go out with her - 19 YR OLD WOMAN MIND YOU!! Hence, me starting to "date" her...