Girls! Apologize or not? 10 PTS FRST ANSWER?

Ok first of I'm NOT GOING TO GIVE 10 PTS TO THE FIRST ANSWER UNLESS IT IS ACTUALLY AN ANSWER. None of this "thanks for the 10 PTS" or "first" crap. Ok here's my situation. There's a really shy girl at my school who I liked. My friend Steve knew I liked her(I have NO idea how he... show more Ok first of I'm NOT GOING TO GIVE 10 PTS TO THE FIRST ANSWER UNLESS IT IS ACTUALLY AN ANSWER. None of this "thanks for the 10 PTS" or "first" crap.

Ok here's my situation. There's a really shy girl at my school who I liked. My friend Steve knew I liked her(I have NO idea how he found out), and he messaged her on Facebook and told her I liked her, and then he asked her if she liked me. She said no, she didn't like me. 

Before Steve ruined everything, me and this girl were slowly becoming friends. Now she's really awkward around me though and doesn't say anything. Even if she doesn't "love" me back, I at least want to continue being friends. I feel so horrible and awkward, and i feel bad for her because I know she feels awkward too.

Would it be bad to go up and apologize? Here's what I'm considering saying. Tell me if you think it's ok.

"Hey, I just wanted to apologize for Steve did. I never meant for you to know, and I feel really bad you found out because I know it probably made you feel awkward too. I do like you, and i think you're a really cool girl, but I'd be totally happy if we could just keep being friends. Could we?"

Is this ok?? I love her from the bottom of my my heart, and even if she doesn't love me back, I still want to be friends. She's a wonderful girl