Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelCanadaOther - Canada · 8 years ago

Do Canadians hate America?

In response to other questions I have posed about Canada and monarchy, many Canadian responders have made disparaging remarks about America. Many say they have the Queen as the symbol of the Canadian state to be different from America. Do Canadians hate America?

• MattH
    Best Answer

No, I don't think most of us do. I'm sure there are some who do, just as I'm sure there are some Americans that hate Canada, but for the most part I think the relationship is pretty cordial.

I think politically people try to differentiate us from the US a little bit. For example, the monarchy question where alot of Canadians support it because it differentiates us from the US, or debates regarding health care, etc. It's one of those situations where politics comes in the way of reality. People are socialized to have certain views, but they also have the ability to rationalize. It's like a lot of Canadians say bad things about the US... but I guarantee you 9 times out of 10 if you introduce an American to a Canadian they will get along with one another. There are just too many cultural similarities between the two to have any real nationalist animosity with one another. Unless you're talkin about Quebec I guess, that's a whole different situation all together.

When I was in America in 2008 on a family trip, my family all wore these Canadian flag pin on our clothing. Unfortunately for me and my family, wearing a pin or other article that makes you look at all Canadian, you might as well be wearing a sign that reads "Kick Me" on your back. One particular incident, My mother asked for directions at a gas station. When I got out of the restroom, I overheard the cashier y other got directions from say to the station manager; " Those Canadians are so stupid, I just gave them directions to Detroit and they don't even know about it "Then, to my disgust both men started laughing out loud. Upon leaving the US, I was pushed over the edge by the disrespect given to me and my family by the American border security guards, I had a meltdown and made the mistake of Saying that 9/11 was the most deserved thing that ever happened to America, and a week later, I was banned from entry to the US. I do not regret a word I said to the Border guards and probably never will regret it.

Harper got elected PM, so how much can Canadians hate Americans? The average media types at the CBC or Toronto Sun are probably a lot more anti-American than the "silent majority". Read the National Post or the Western Standard and you'll get a totally different perspective that is just as made in Canada as the anti-American rants. It's just that the haters are better financed(for now).

Some do just as some Americans hate Canadians but the majority both respect each other. Many Canadians consider the US a cousin or family and although they have many great things in their country they often wish for some of the things we have in the US and vise versa. I know that a lot of Europeans dislike Americans because when they meet people from the US they often expect them to speak English and change their culture to what the American is used too and not conform to the country they are in.

Of course we don't! That's a very strong word that I would never use. A lot of Canadians have relatives in the US.

I do however, enjoy bantering back and forth, mostly in good fun and always entertaining.

It's been that way for decades, and likely always be, it's in our nature to uphold the tradition of verbal tennis with the USA...=)

btw...the disparaging remarks are a direct result of your incessant questions about the queen and your insinuation that she somehow lords over us and we are subservient to her....what did you expect Eric?

"Many say they have the Queen as the symbol of the Canadian state to be different from America."

Links, plz. Because the only one I've seen saying that is you.

Not that it matters since it's patently untrue.

Canada's been a monarchy since before the founding of the colonies that became America.

Monarchy's our preferred system of governance.

Differentiating ourselves from foreigners has sweet-f*ck-all to do with it.

That being said: How's your question travel-related, Jamie/Eric/Maurice?

You know damn well your monarchy questions belong here:

All Categories > Society & Culture > Royalty http://ca.answers.yahoo.com/dir/index;_ylt=Am8po8N...

• C.M. C

JamieB, Hello my son. pleasure to answer this one. That is pretty much mixed, there would be some of them that don't like us, but there again rednecks only like their own kind. But going by sediments here, you are the biggest on our hate list, and that is so not Canadian, but you seem to have a knack of doing that.

• Scott

No, we just hate it when Americans pretend to be Canadian when they travel abroad so they can get a bit of respect. I met two obnoxious pricks in Belgium that were from South Carolina; both of those asses had stitched a Canadian flag patch to the back of their packs.

It makes us look bad.

• JDM Fox5 years agoReport

No worries, I have devised a simple 3 step test to confirm if a person is really a Canadian or just an American imposter.

Question 1: What is the Capital of Canada?

Question 2: What is the population of Canada?

Question 3: Please Sing the Canadian National Anthem.

No, that would almost be like self-hating since Canada and America are very similar.

I personally believe Canada should be a republic.

Not nearly as much as we dislike you.

Edit wow Hidden talent 16 points now and as C.M.C. noted you are part of the dregs.

Source(s): Jamie I am disappointed onltyseven points so far