Having my health insurance deductible waived?

I'm currently seeing a chiropractor and will be for the foreseeable future. I was told today that if we do eight visits at forty a piece totaling three hundred and twenty dollars my insurance would waive the rest of my nine hundred deductible as a hardship. Is this possibly true? If so why?

To clarify the lady who told me this said they would waive it due to something about hardship circumstances. Also, I don't think they are trying to pull one over me. This guy comes highly recommended and I know many people who have gone to him for years. If it is any help I use cigna as my insurance provider.

Best Answer

A chiropractor committing insurance fraud?? UNHEARD OF!! Ha Ha Actually they invented it.

I have never heard of such a thing. An insurance company is not going to waive a deductible. The chiropractor may be working out a deal with you. Are you only getting 8 treatments for a total of $320? Is the chiropractor saying you would not owe them the $320? You are not giving enough information with your question and it does not make sense. I have worked in the health insurance field for 20 years and never have I heard of a hardship circumstance that would waive deductible. I would look into this further and get more details.

No, it's not possibly true. At best, they're committing insurance fraud, by filing MORE claims with the insurance company, than sessions that you had.

Waiving the health insurance deductible is a violation of the contract.

Why would you think it was true? Insurance companies don't waive deductibles and they ESPECIALLY don't give you extra benefits for a chiropractor. No offense to chiropractors meant, but they already limit benefits for their services so there's no way they would "waive" a deductible.

It sounds like a line to me, but I don't understand the point of it. Maybe they want to hook you in and send you to collections later when you don't pay for the visits you thought were going to be free.

If that's what the chiropractor said, then ask for it in writing from them and call the insurance company and ask.

No = 100% absolutely false.

But the chiropractor might be giving you $900 worth of treatment for $320.

Most likely your insurance would not even cover $900 worth of chiropractor visit in a year.

Most plans have a maximum number of visits (5-20).

If anyone is to give you a 'hardship discount', it would be the chiropractor involved. Do NOT expect CIGNA to do any such thing. CIGNA will follow the policy contract only. It does not get involved in 'hardship deductible forgiveness'. You are being fed a line of hogwash.

It is not possibly true. Deductibles cannot be "waived" for treatment, ever, for any reason.

• Flower

Is chiropractic covered by your insurance? What is your annual deductible?

not only is it not true, it would be illegal. i suggest you find another chiropractor. sounds like you have a provider that will be doing some insurance fraud.