What are the absolute best Linux based operating systems optimized for netbooks?

(I put this in "programing" because I figured This was the best place to find Linux users. All the other categories seemed to be full of PC/Mac guys.) That may or may not have made sense, but I'm looking to replace Jolicloud on my little netbook? I go to an online school and It involves a lot... show more (I put this in "programing" because I figured This was the best place to find Linux users. All the other categories seemed to be full of PC/Mac guys.)

That may or may not have made sense, but I'm looking to replace Jolicloud on my little netbook? I go to an online school and It involves a lot (a-LOT) of streaming videos. So having a full version desktop OS doesnt quite work... I like Jolicloud, but It doesn't feel right... Clunky, and the false "user friendly" interface... Some things are way too complex then they should be. As in accessing a file on my Windows OS from Joili is nearly impossible. Where as Windows accessing joli is literally nothing at all.

I'm looking to replace it. I have a high end desktop which I use 99% of the time so It wont have hardly any hardcore use every day. (that's probably irrelevant) But I need it to WORK! Joli keeps bugging up at the worst times. Like Business trips, and vacations... (Impossible to tell if its a bad OS or I broke it somehow) I heard both good and bad reviews for Jolicloud so I don't know what to make of it... Is it really at the top end of netbook OS's?! (highly unlikely) or is it a piece of crap?

As you can probably tell I have no idea whats going on... I know what Linux is. But not really how to use it, I'm still learning. I'm almost completely in the dark about this... I'm a windows user (gamer... so I have to be...) and i know how to use that pretty well. But Linux is completely alien to me. Can someone help me outwith where I should go next? I'm going to Nashvile on a Business trip in two weeks and I need this working. And I hate joli.

I would prefer to not have cloud computing...? I don't like stuff being only accessible on the internet.. (yes I am are that the one I have now is Joli*cloud* that's where the hatred comes from.) But If the best one out there (for me) is cloud, ehh, no big deal.

Yes I am a Linux idiot. Yes I asked a stupid question. there is no such thing as "Best".

JoliCloud is Unbuntu based.

And an important note. I can't access Window. only jolicloud is accessible... I kinda broke windows... When I select it in BIOS it goes into an internal crash dump sequence that even me and my Tech buddies cant fix without wiping the drive and starting over... and I want to avoid that. Hence this question. And I did have Joli before it broke. Lucky break really...
Update: Oh I forgot to mention. not relevant really, But I would have searched the Internet for suggestions, I just have no idea what to search for! as in, I have no idea how to word it. Why I'm here!