Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 8 years ago

What are the best books to movies that you have both read and seen?

I am new to this reading thing...lol, well I used to read because I had to in school but I got an android phone and I have a lot of spare time at work so I have been reading things that I have always wanted to. Just read Water for elaphants which was excellent by the way and I have also read the Twilight books and Stephanie Myers other book the Host and I must say that I loved those too. Can't wait for her to write more! I read the secret garden which was cute and I am now working on reading A Little Princess because they are free and I remember watching the movie as a child. Next on my list is the Notebook because that is my favorite movie but I am looking for some suggestions. I really like being about to watch the movie too after I have read it so I would like some suggestion on what your favortie books to movies are. I have started reading a few books that I got board with so any suggestions on books that are hard to put down would be nice.

Oh yea, I think I'm gonna try and read the hunger games too, I think I want to wait untill it gets closer to come out in the movies though.

You know what, if its a good book i won't mind it. I have read to kill a mokingbird and I got stuck on the movie one saturday when their wasn't anything on.

Favorite Answer

The best book to movies are the ones where the movies are better than the books.

1) Best example? "Forrest Gump" and the "Bridges to Madison County." Forrest Gump used juvenile diction and the writing didn't at all provoke an emotional response like Tom Hank's performance in the movie, and "Bridges to Madison County" was too sappy and predictable and the dialogue was terrible but the screenplay version was far better (which is the same situation with Nicholas Sparks' stories).

2) So that means all of Nicholas Sparks' works because he's a terrible writer (Walk to Remember, The Notebook, Dear john, etc)

3) "20,000 Leagues under the sea" was a slow, horrible read but the movie "30,000 Leagues under the sea" picked up the pace

4) "The Shining," "Jaws," and "The Stand"..Most of Stephen King's books are terribly boring reads with too many information dumps and slow prose but these stories were especially better in their movie versions over their book versions

5) "Fight Club" mostly because the movie expounded on scenes (and added to the 200 page book), where the scenes came off as more rushed and less potent in the book

6) Arguably, all of Jane Austen's/Charles Dickens/Shakespeares' work due to the archaic language used in their writing.

7) And of course, Lord of the Rings. The movies blow the books out of the water. Tolkien doesn't even describe the elvish cities or most of the scenery and his characterizations are flat and cardboard..and the 2+ page Gandalf speeches/dialogue were unbearable...but the movies made this story far more lovable to someone like me because they condensed the verbose prose/dialogue and added amazingly vivid details that Tolkien would never have dreamed of.

But more often than not, movies stay faithful to their book versions and do an admirable job adapting but never exceed the actual books. Examples: "Silence of the Lambs," "The Help," "Eragon" (book and movie are equally bad), "Other Boleyn Sister," Kite Runner," etc.

• A User

I'll tell you something. People often say that movies ruin books but I don't think it's true at all. Most great movies are novel adaptations.

I think the best example I have seen is the movie The Social Network, based on the novel The Accidental Billionaires. The novel is all right but not particularly good. The movie is absolutely fantastic.

Here is a list of great movies based on books, but not necessarily better than the book versions:

The Help, Million Dollar Baby, Bridges of Madison County, Much Ado About Nothing, The Lord of the Rings, The Secret Garden, Bridge to Terabithia, The Shawshank Redemption, The Green Mile, The Godfather, My Fair Lady, Atonement, Gone With the Wind, The Devil Wears Prada, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Misery, The Shining, Schindler's List, The Color Purple, The Last King of Scotland, Forrest Gump, The Pianist, Girl Interrupted, The Silence of the Lambs, To Kill a Mockingbird, 12 Angry Men, Memoirs of a Geisha (better than the book this one), The Reader, Cold Mountain, The Virgin Suicides, Sense and Sensibility, Fight Club, Blade Runner, American Psycho, Precious, Interview with the Vampire, Little Women, Goodfellas, the Quiet American, Sophie's Choice, Apollo 13, It's a Wonderful Life, Tess, The Wizard of Oz, The Princess Bride, Casablanca, The Miracle Worker, Rosemary's Baby, The Stepford Wives (the original, not the remake with Nicole Kidman), Kramer, vs Kramer, Elephant Man, The Dead, Gorillas in the Mist, Dangerous Liaisons, Awakenings, Dances with Wolves, JFK, In the Name of the Father, The Crucible, O Brother Where art Thou?, Chicago, About a Boy, Ghost World, Mystic River, Seabiscuit, Children of Men, Finding Neverland, Notes on a Scandal, Slumdog Millionaire, Frost/Nixon, Up in the Air, Doubt, True Grit.

I haven't read the books for all of these, but all these great movies were based on books.

2001 A Space Odyssey.

Well you did ask.

It came out in 1968 with the book written by Arthur C.Clarke he helped Stanley Kubrick with the story line to the Film.

Both come under the heading of Awsome.

There were no Computer graphics used as they had not been invented.

In fact the Computer is the size of a room, and has a starring role.

Any more I could mention you will probably not be interested in as they are in B & W LOL.

• b97st

All Stephen King books, Silence of The Lambs, The Millenium Trilogy (original).

• Lydia

Yes all four books, Twilight, New Moon, Eclipse, and Breaking Dawn. I have also seen the movie about three or four times, and so far I like it even though there are people who don't like it.

I Know What You Did Last Summer by Lois Duncan. A Walk To Remember by Nicholas Sparks. The Private series by Kate Brian (they made a mini-series out of it and a straight-to-DVD movie, I believe). That's all I can think of right now. I don't usually like books *and* their movie adaptations.

Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck

Excellent movie made in 1992 with John Malkovich and Gary Sinise

The Reivers by William Faulkner

One of my favorite books, made into one of my favorite movies.

Raggedy Man by William Witliff

The movie starred Sissy Spacek and Eric Roberts----wonderful.

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harpur Lee

perfectly translated to the screen with Gregory Peck and Robert DeNiro in his first movie role ever.

The Lord of the Rings.

No matter what anyone says, the books are wonderful, and so are the movies.

Lonesome Dove

made into a great miniseries

Sophie's Choice.

Amazing book, excellent movie

Harry Potter, Star Wars, Odd Thomas, Twilight.

• Harry Potter? The books are way better than the movies!

I don't think there's a movie on this, but read The Book Thief. It's...beautiful. One of my favourites.

Note: DON'T read Lord of the Rings, because the book is boring. Very, very boring.

Read The Kite Runner too, and The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

• Bb

The Godfather I & II....but judging from your tastes I doubt you'll like either the book or the movie.