Hi asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 8 years ago

How much do different Latin American spanish accents ACTUALLY differ?

Even with my untrained ears I can recognize the difference between the Spanish spoken in Spain and that in Latin America. But, all of the Latin American accents (except Puerto Rican, it sounds different) seem to sound exactly the same to me minus an occasional regional word.

Is there actually a huge regional variation between them, or would something like Mexican Spanish sound acceptable in a country like Peru or Chile?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

There are some dramatic differences.

For instance, I lived in Sevilla. I have a friend from Argentina. She sounds VERY close to Andaluz, but you don't hear the same things when you talk to anyone from any other Latin country.

MOSTLY, I pick up on words and phrases. There are a few countries where they use VOS, instead of tú. It grew from the vosotros form of the verb, but is used for familiar singular. Interesting.

Words like "tico" (Costa Rica) "pura vida" (Venezuela) etc. are good tip-offs, also, things like: using "bosque" for park, instead of parque,(Central Mexico), different words for things like bus, skirt, sandwich, etc., can tell you where a person is from.

But, as far as the accents go, think of it like this: In English, you can tell if a person is from Australia, England, Ireland, US, right? Within the US, you can distinguish between Southern Eastern, Texan, Western, North Eastern, and West Coast, right? Most people can even tell between NYC, Boston, New England.

Yes, there are the same differentiations between Spanish regions. There are major differences between Northern Mexican, Central...in fact, there are 31 states in Mexico, each having its own differences, just like the states of the US.

BTW, "Castilian" Spanish = Spanish. Castellano is a SYNONYM for the Spanish language. If you want to differentiate between Spain and Latin America, it's Peninsular vs Latinoamericano.

• 8 years ago

They can all almost always tell the difference between each others' dialects. It's like a person from Georgia in the U.S. can tell the difference between another Georgia accent and a Mississippi accent. Even though they're practically next door, they sound very different. Wisconsin and Minnesota are neighbors, and they sound very different as well and can pick each other out.

When I lived in Chile, a lot of the Chileans made fun of the way Mexicans spoke. A common Mexican way to say, "What?" like when someone is talking and you need them to repeat it because you didn't understand is "¿Mande?" A couple of kids in my group had picked up that expression, and the teachers would tell them not to say that so the Chileans didn't think they were Mexican and treat them differently.

Source(s): Studied Spanish for 15 years, taught for 6, travelled throughout Central America, South America, and the Caribbean.
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago

Idk about accents but the Spanish spoken in Mexico uses different vocabulary than that spoken in Spain (true Spanish aka Castillian Spanish) and that used in Peru bc Mexico has a ton of Americanisms. (Like Canadian French when compared to real French or American English compared to British English)

EX: coche becomes carro in Mexico,

albaricoque = chabacano

camioneta = troca

Hope this helps

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

All these countries that you mentioned speak spanish as their primary languague.

Yes there are differences...its the accents and the dilect of the language.

dilects meaning...that lots of words can differ in meaning but its still spanish and in some cases can be the same word but have different meanings.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 years ago

spanish from venezuela differs differently from mexican spanish

there are other variations between other regions.

the speech pattern and emphasis on vowel sounds.

Source(s): im hispanic.
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.