promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Do other places besides the united states have mass unemployment?

Is it easier in other places such as europe, russia, asia, south american places? How is it in Mexico?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Judith
    Lv 7
    8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

First of all the United States doesn't have "mass" unemployment. We had mass unemployment during the Great Depression when 25% of the nation wasn't working; some countries had an unemployment rate of 33%. That's mass unemployment.

Our unemployment rates are high but not as high as they have been in recent years. We are slowly recovering but from what I've read it will be another ten years before we return to the fiscal health we enjoyed before the crash of the housing market. I sure wouldn't want to live in Russia or Mexico. There is a reason why Mexicans want to come here to the United States for work you know and it certainly isn't because they are finding decent jobs in their own country. As for Russia, the employment picture is pretty bleak and their alcoholism rate is pretty high. And as for Europe, aren't you paying any attention? The euro is in trouble and so far at least two countries have had to be bailed out by Germany.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 8 years ago

Yes, comparatively the USA is doing quite well at 8.6%

Unfortunately, that is not the REAL unemployment rate and is essentially only those receiving unemployment benefits.

Be careful of statistics you will find. Some countries falsely report low unemployment rates to make themselves look good to enhance their prestige or to attract multi-national corporate investments (jobs)

I will give you a good example: The Philippines reported 7.2 unemployment rate at end of last year. However, it does take a college degree to get a job at McDonalds and age discrimination is institutionalized. Having lived there from 2007-2010, my experience is that unemployment is more like 20% or higher. So it is very unclear to me who they are and are not counting in the figures. This is a country that promotes itself as the 4th largest English speaking country in the world...yes it is IF speaking English at a 4 year old child''s level is "English speaking"...most can write English at a 2nd grade level.

• ?
    Lv 6
    8 years ago

Its worse in Europe than in the United States because the labour markets are too inefficient in Europe.

United States will recover much faster form the crisis than Europe.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

Are you SERIOUS?

The USA does not have "mass unemployment", it has 'high unemployment for the US, compared with the last few decades of US history'...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_...

I can only hope that you were trying to make some "political point" rather than you actually being THAT clueless!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Julie
    Lv 5
    8 years ago

Most of the world has problems with unemployment. Latin America (includes Mexico) has big problems with it. So does Europe.

• 8 years ago

Yes. Most of Europe has significantly worse unemployment than the USA.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

Try Europe. Hurry Nov.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

Most of the world and it is beginning to catch up to China. It was a global crash and recession.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.