Female audition song for the musical RENT?

Hi. I'm auditioning in the spring for the role of Mimi in RENT. I need to prepare a song in the next 2 months. Typically I'm a soprano, but I have a wide range and can belt pretty well.... So if I could show off my belt without being too BIG BELT, that would be great.

I've heard for this show that it's almost better not to sing a musical theatre song for auditions, so I've got a couple of options that aren't musical theatre repetoire, but I'm not entirely opposed to doing a musical theatre song. The thing is, I just want to do something that hasn't been overdone. Preferrably, I'd like to do something completely uncommon or never done before. No Les Mis, Phantom, Spring Awakening, Guys and Dolls, Oklahoma, West Side Story, etc. You get the idea.

If anyone has any good ideas of an audition song for me, musical theatre or not, please let me know. I could really use the help! THANKS GUYS!

Favorite Answer

Have you ever listened to the soundtrack of "Aida?" The character of Amneris has songs that would show off your range, from soprano down to a somewhat strong belt, and are also leaning towards pop-like (you said that from your experience, it might be better to stray from musical theatre). On top of that, the character herself is pretty sassy, yet has depth -- similar to Mimi?

"I Know The Truth" would be a good song to look at, if you need some place to start.

Hope you find something that works!

Search "As We Stumble Along" from "The Drowsy Chaperone." My school is doing it and pretty much nobody I've told about it has ever heard of the musical. The song has a large range and is sort of a belt. Good luck on your audition!

What about something from next to normal. They prettty much have the same sound