Robin asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 8 years ago

Are any of you familiar with Dave Futrelle's blog "Manboobz"?

If you are, do you feel he has gone too far writing about women's periods being "dirty", smelly and the equivalent of "on the rag?"

Check out the link here (before he edits it):

http://manboobz.com/2012/01/30/mra-men-can-sometim...

Favorite Answer

this person seems like a misogynist bigot who thinks women's bodies are disgusting. maybe that means he hopefully won't have contact with them.

Dirty isn't a decent thing to use at all and it's a cheap bid for attention. 'On the rag' is simply an old figure of speech, as way back in the day women used to wear cloths because they didn't have 'feminine napkins'. Personally, I have been both hospitalized and bedridden for my bleeding and I have to wear layers of tampons, pads, cloths, etc and I always use the phrase 'on the rag' as it's literal, and my friends and I make light of it.

I'll admit though, that when you bleed that much you do smell a tad bit - I clean myself obsessively so I don't smell fishy, just like, well . . . . blood.

My name's Robin too!

Yes, he has gone way too far. The Men's Movement is not in any way concerned with menses or any type of feminine hygiene. This is another example of Futrelle's Folly.

His jingo lingo and overall brand of "yellow journalism" is going to cost him his allies and friends in the feminist camp. Everybody sees through his thin veneer as an alleged insider and whistleblower on MRA's.

Feminists have been lurking the MRA forums for years now, even registering as members. They already know way more than he does and he's clueless about that!

He is using that language to mock so-called "Men's Right Activists", the post is highly sarcastic, like other posts he has made before. You have either read the post out of the larger context of the blog, or you are deliberately being dishonest.

Have you ever heard of a joke? My goodness.

Dave's major crime it's that he mocks the so-called men's rights movement, using their own words against them. It's shockingly unfair.