Lots of life changes. How will this effect our taxes?

Last year was absolutely crazy. Now it's time to file taxes, and I was wondering how it will effect that (different deductions, paying different state taxes, etc). So, I got out of college at the end of 2010, and moved in with my (then) fiancee. He got a good job offer, so we moved from Arkansas to New York state so he could work out of northern Pennsylvania. We had to pay for a hotel for the first few weeks before we got a place. I kept a lot of the receipts just in case we needed them. We got married in September. I haven't gotten my new social security card or driver's license yet. We're filing jointly, this Saturday. I was just wondering how all of this will play into our taxes. Can we get a deduction for having to move so far and for paying $400 a week for that hotel? Will we need to pay into NY taxes since only PA taxes are taken out of his checks? Any good help would be very much appreciated.

• tro
    Favorite Answer

you will now be filing jointly on income of both of you

if he moved from one job in Ark to a new job in NY this could involve moving expenses and the hotel would be included, you can find a publication at www.irs.gov about the requirements of this credit and the form to use

the tax home is where you work unless it is short, temporary or less than a year's duration-this appears to be permanent job and would file PA state taxes

New York has numerous local taxes you may be r'qrd to pay

You will get the moving for a job as a deduction. Depending on state and income made you might also have a state tax. Save receipts to make sure the process goes smooth. Claim everything and good luck

If you opt to prepare you taxes online thru like TaxBrain or TaxAct it should walk you thru all of it...I do mine with TaxBrain and I know it asks the question about moving for a job and stuff

That is probably your best way to get it all figured out.

Source(s): me