Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

I spelled the city wrong on a package that I am sending to my friend! Will the Post Office reject it?

I'm so stressed out!

I am having something shipped out to a friend that I bought online as a gift. I put in the right address, state and zip code (5 digit), but I realized two days later that I spelled the city wrong (Brookville instead of Brookeville). The area of the zip code is very small (it really only has like two cities)

I can't believe I made a stupid mistake like that. I worry that the post office won't recognize the mail and send it back, delaying it for my friend!

14 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

No.

That's why they have you put the zip code on it.

It will go to the right postal branch, and from there they can tell that you made a minor misspelling an the city name. It will likely be the only similarly spelled city within that zip. They can also tell by the street address.

Don't worry :)

In fact, you don't even have to put the city and state on a postal address, you can get away with only the street name and number, and zip code and it will get delivered.

• 9 years ago

You will most likely be fine. The zip code is really what matters and if you had the 5 plus 4 that's even better. Once it gets to the proper post office (which it will by the zip code) the rest is easy and even if some of the info is wrong the local postal workers know their area. It will get there.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Yeah, itll most likely get there. if not they'll return it. Some places have really ridiculously hard to spell names, or identical names. In general you can consider the city name to be a backup for the ZIP code. Even moreso if you use long ZIP codes (12345-6789 format).

Also, ZIP is an acronym, stands for Zone Improvement Plan. This is unrelated to your question, i just wanted to point it out :)

• 9 years ago

The mail is sorted by zip code so if that is correct it should be fine. Besides that I'm sure leaving out the "e" in Brookeville is a very common mistake so you shouldn't worry about it.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

As long as the zip code is correct because that is what the computer reads. The rest is mostly for the recipients to know which person gets it.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

I think that's fine. It was just an "e" and the word is still recognizable without it. And you put the zip code so it should all work out(:

• 9 years ago

Yes, it will get there. They will look at the zip. Its close, so it will be an easy fix. I ahve rec'vd mail w/my city spelled incorrectly.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

It seems like it wouldn't matter. Sometimes places will spell your name out wrong in the mail but somehow it still gets to the right person.

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

Hi 13 Across! Like Ms Lety, I too like Not To Touch The Earth. But, how about People Are Strange? Thanks for the music Mr Manzarek, you gave me and many others many smiles!!!

• 9 years ago

As long as the zip was correct, you're fine.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.