Sanyo TV Problems Picking Up Cable?

I have a 2004 Sanyo television that was given to my fiance and I by my parents. We have used the cable (we have basic cable) in our apartment before without having to have a cable box, with a television that was about the same age/shape our's is in. We really want to connect it to the cable, and we have the... show more I have a 2004 Sanyo television that was given to my fiance and I by my parents. We have used the cable (we have basic cable) in our apartment before without having to have a cable box, with a television that was about the same age/shape our's is in. We really want to connect it to the cable, and we have the cord(s) needed connected, but when I do a channel search (with our Universal Remote) it doesn't pick anything up.

Any way to fix this?
I KNOW we don't need a cable box, because 3 other t.v.'s have been hooked up without cable.

I need legit answers, the more detailed the better.
Please help!