Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelAsia PacificOther - Asia Pacific · 9 years ago

Driver and travel tips in Sri Lanka?

I have to visit Sri Lanka for work later this year and want to take some time to have a family holiday whilst I'm there. I have a 1 year old child so want to do something that will be interesting for him, but I can't sit on a beach for 2 weeks or I'll lose my mind! Does anybody have any tips?

Also, I don't want to use buses and trains as it's too complicated. Does anybody know if it is easy to hire a car and driver? Has anybody had any experiences with a company they could reccommend?

Favorite Answer

Sri Lanka is a very easy country to get around. Hiring a driver is easy and will not cost too much.

We visited Sri Lanka over Christmas/New Year and hired a driver called Jaleel from www.exotictourslk.com. He was excellent - a superb driver and guide and it made our trip much simpler. We were also travelling with a little one (6 months old) and Jally organised a car seat in advance. Most cars here don't seem to have seatbelts, let alone child seats so this was very comforting for us.

One thing to note is that the driving in Sri Lanka can be a bit erratic, so having somebody driving your vehicle who is safe is a must. I wouldn't think of hiring anyone else when I next go to Sri Lanka.

Jally helped us plan our itinerary and was also happy to book accommodation too if we wanted (we booked our own as I am very picky). Run your ideas by him first and he will help make sure it's realistic in the time scale you are thinking of.

Our itinerary was Colombo-Habarana-Kandy-Nuwara Eliya-Ella-Mirissa-Galle-Bentota-Colombo. This was a great mixture of temples, mountains, national parks, wildlife, hiking, beaches and a lot of great food. Once you have a driver you can go practically anywhere so pick your route depending on your interests.

I can't recommend Sri Lanka enough! It is a wonderful country and we hope to go back soon.

Source(s): Personal experience.

You need tips. Find travel ideas at below source for planning your holiday to Sri Lanka. Discover things to see and do, places to stay and more...

Sri Lanka, an island in the Indian ocean is blessed whit all the climatic conditions. if you want to switch from a warm climate to a cold climate you could do that in hours.

before you travel check to get insider info & plan your trip. -http://srilanka.travel/

this website has a list of accommodation to Travel providers in the country.

Do not use the bus they are dangerous cheap but dangerous, they drive too fast, daily people die.

Trains are cheap but slow, and do not under any circumstances use the toilet.

I would seriously avoid traveling with a small child for the sake of health ie mosquitoes, nets are not much use, chemicals on skin no ie DEET 100% chemical but on a small child?

If at all possible leave the child at home, hard but safer for the child.

Try www.serendibguesthouse.com for the travel assistance, they do not take small children it's on Trip Advisor.

Source(s): Been there.

check www. tripadvisor.com