Sev
Sev asked in SportsMartial Arts · 8 years ago

Martial Artists who practice numerous Martial Art styles?

What kind of Martial artist do you consider yourself? For example, for those who have practiced Karate, you may be called a Karateka. For Taekwondo, Taekwondoin. Do you consider yourself a Mixed Martial Artist? Or do you identify with one particular style while any other is an extension of your Martial arts knowledge into other styles.

@Cole - You just reminded me.

Question 2: If you do practice numerous styles, do you have a base?

Best Answer

I consider myself to be a Kajukenbo practitioner. There is no special term to describe a Kajukenbo practitioner, since English is the official language of Kajukenbo.

I do not consider myself to be a Mixed Martial Artist. I used to train in an MMA gym. The Mixed Martial Artists are the ones who trained in Brazillian Jujitsu, Muay Thai, Boxing, Wrestling or any conbination of those. I consider myself a Kajukenbo practitioner. It's just incidental that Kajukenbo has punching, kicking, elbowing, kneeing, armlocks, leglocks, throws, takedowns and trapping hands. We ( Kajukenbo practitioners ) considered the people training for MMA competitions to be the MMA people. The MMA people considered the Kajukenbo people to be "the crazy ones", "the insane ones", "the ones who don't stop hitting each other."

I consider my base art to be Kajukenbo. Because it is a hybrid martial art, I can add other stuff to it and it will still be considered Kajukenbo. But any additions or changes have to be approved by the instructor. I can't just add stuff to my repertoire just like that. The instructor has to approve that it is something that will work in a street fight.

Source(s): Arnis, Muay Thai, Kajukenbo
  • Ymir

I don't call myself an aikidoka for one thing. Or any other limiting name.

If I have to name myself and what I do, I would focus solely on what it is I am actually doing, which is either striking, joint locks, or throwing. Every technique in martial arts can be broken down to one or a combination of those things.

I do not identify with particular styles. My base is what I first learned or got good at, which would be striking. But that is not in itself a style or an organization. Just a general description.

first all arts and styles are mixed. karate is a mix, hapkido is a mix, wing chun is a mix.

i call what i do Jissen Kempo Jujutsu. not because im some kind of soke, grand pubah 12th dan...but because all my influences can be listed accurately under that heading.

Jissen=real fighting

kempo=can (and has been) used to describe arts that are already labeled kempo (kenpo, kajukenbo) as well as arts formerly having been called kempo (many karate systems and tkd) ..and also as a show of respect to the chinese influence to all these arts. (chuan fa/kempo)..even more simply it can refer to the striking aspect of the arts. and certain characteristics shared by most if not all kempo systems.

jujutsu= again literal jujutsu, and a general term to refer to the grappling/locking/throwing aspect, as well as the strategy of "giving way"

it also shows my opinion that you should strike before you grapple. set it up, or it probably won't work. so it also shows the overall strategy i generally follow: start on the outside and work your way in (and down) as needed. set up your throws and locks with strikes.

my base: kempo jujutsu ...a system called gokei ryu. didn't study it long, but it made a big impact on my and how i look at things. it was sort of traditional, yet sort of modern as well. from there i studied taekwondo for about a year or so, still use some of the kicks, but didn't like the sport/mcdojang aspect, so i went back to kempo jujutsu for a while. after a while i stopped training full time formally, and just practiced and learned from anyone i could whether it ws in person, books, videos, conversation...etc.

all in all, i try to see the value in everything. as Dan Inosanto said "everyone has something to offer" and to me..knowledge is knowledge. some people prefer to stick with one art and learn all they can about it, others cross train. knowledge is knowledge, so to me both approaches are equally valid.

most of the time i just say i do kempo as we use it as short hand for kempo jujutsu. and much like karate or kung fu is used today..kempo is a general term for martial arts.

• Jay

Out of all the styles I've studied, I'm a Karateka. Goju Ryu is and always will be my main foundation. I love it too much. All the others I've studied have been good to me and I enjoy them all the same, but even from the beginning, it's always been for Goju Ryu.

I can transition between them and not let one get in the way of the practice of another. I can be tough at times, but when I'm practicing Taijiquan, my mind is on Taijiquan, and when I'm practicing Hapkido, my mind is on Hapkido.

When we spar in class, I try and stay in the Hapkido mindset for the sake of who I'm sparring, especially if they're just learning, but if it's a senior practitioner, then I'm more free to whatever. I can get good training in my own personal style, and they can train their skills against someone who isn't using "from the book" type of things.

I started in TKD, then added Hapkido and am now adding BJJ, doing all 3 that is. But my roots are in TKD as it is where I started, so that's what I consider my art and where I still spend most of my training hours.

I'm a karateka.

Source(s): Martial Arts since 1982 Black Belt in Shorin Ryu Black Belt in Jujitsu Brown Belt in Judo

Kravist (krav maga)

Ving Tsun.

Don't believe what these fools with a wide range but shallow skill level in a lot of arts say, it's bogus.

The split second you hesitate to decide what to do I will have killed you, it is as simple as that.

I consider myself as just a martial artist. My base is in folkstyle wrestling, and I'm currently a karate, and renzoku jiu jitsu practicioner. I do consider myself more of a jiu jitsu practicioner since grappling my area of expertise. I can also call myself a karateka if I wanted to. But I perfer to be called a martial artist, scince I study martial arts.

I follow the path the Bruce Lee started, Dan Inosanto widened, and Burton Richardson paved with asphalt.