Kendall asked in HealthDental · 9 years ago

Crazy Mara Appliance? Help!?

Today i got a stupid mara appliance at the ortho. my entire mouth hurts and ive had a bad headache all day. i cant eat at all. i cant get my front top and bottom teeth to touch together without putting tremendous pressure and pain on my mouth. ive played around with it and found out how to hook the bottom nubs inside of the top rings, but can only fit one in at a time. whenever i do something without concentrating on my mouth, like jump or talk all of the metal bangs together and it hurts really bad. i don't understand how to talk normal and how to eat. should i try not to get the nubs in the rings? the ortho said it would push my jaw forward when i bite, but it doesn't. i have to try, and when i do, it doesn't fir right at all. when i try to eat, all of the metal clunks together and hurts really bad. is this normal? will i get used to talking and eating? how long will it take to stop hurting and getting used to? Help?!?!?

Favorite Answer

I JUST got my MARA off last month after having it in for 18 months. The arms in your upper mouth are supposed to grab the nubs in the bottom, and pull your jaw forward when you close it. Because of this, eating and talking will be a lot difficult at first, but should definitely be easier. Did they make sure you could open and close your mouth fine without it locking up when they first put it on? They always checked that and then adjusted at my orthodontist. There were a few random times when I freaked out because my jaw would "lock" but that stopped happening after my jaw got used to its new range of motion and stopped getting stuck, lol.

You headache can be caused by the way it's set. I know that they would adjust the arms left or right so many clicks to get my bottom teeth to line up correctly with the top, so now your molars might not line up the same. This discrepancy in how they line up could be causing headaches. I know they caused mine for a while.

If it doesn't get better, DEFINITELY go back to your orthodontist. They should be able to adjust it for you so that your jaw can open and close easier. Also, you will eventually get used to it, I promise. It is a very weird appliance and my dentist didn't even know what it was, it's relatively new.

The good news: it works! My overbite is corrected!

Mara Appliance

Mara Orthodontic Appliance

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Crazy Mara Appliance? Help!?

Today i got a stupid mara appliance at the ortho. my entire mouth hurts and ive had a bad headache all day. i cant eat at all. i cant get my front top and bottom teeth to touch together without putting tremendous pressure and pain on my mouth. ive played around with it and found out how to hook the...

Source(s): crazy mara appliance help: https://tr.im/USFG0
  • Katie

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/IAQsD

Call your orthodontist. I know that's not useful advice, and I'm sorry, but there's nothing you can do if he's got these appliances doing the work. Let him know your concerns and he'll fix it for you. Good luck with that! As for the braces hurting, use lots of wax. I don't know if your ortho explained how to use it (some don't) but you're supposed to roll it around between your fingers to soften it up, try to get your teeth dry, and squish it on. Take plenty of painkillers (ibuprofen works best for me) and eat very soft foods, like yogurt, mashed potatoes, pasta, etc.. Nothing you can really do about the bite except for pushing your jaw back a bit when you need to close your mouth. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful, but I hope everything works out.