Christians: What are your views on Unitarian Universalism?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

That's like asking Catholics about Protestants ("They are wrong"), Christians about Jews ("They are wrong"), conservatives about liberals ("They are wrong") San Francisco '49 fans about Oakland Raiders fans ("They are wrong") or people who like Lima beans about people who don't ("They are wrong").

It's also a little like asking an Eskimo about kangaroos. ("I don't know anything about them, but that doesn't prevent me from having strong opinions.")

Based on several years of answering questions about UUs here, I'll bet you get at least one "They are a cult" and one "That's the church that doesn't believe in anything".

If you are one and wonder, search the resolved questions for "Unitarian". (2/3rds of the questions drop "Universalist".)

If you are thinking of joining, other people's opinions should not influence you.

If you are not one and just curious,

http://www.stanuu.org/devoutuu.html

is a sermon I wrote inspired by a question here in 2007. I'm a layman, not a minister. Our church has lay people speak sometimes.

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

The Christian Universalist church began interior the 18th century yet began dying off. They merged with the Unitarians. Unitarian Universalism isn't a Christian faith, so as that's the foremost distinction. -- some, no longer all united statestrust in a God -- some, no longer all united statestrust in Jesus, or in Jesus' divinity -- some, no longer all united statestrust interior the Bible in any respect interior of a UU congregation you will discover liberal Christians, Jews, Pagans, Muslims, atheists, agnostics, Buddhists, Hindus, etc... and anybody of them could desire to be on the pulpit on any given day, or be in charge of Sunday college, etc... We evaluate ourselves a church of shared values, no longer shared ideals. once you bypass to a UU church, they do no longer talk lots in any respect approximately Jesus, different than perhaps on Christian trip journeys, and in many situations basically as a instructor or something... the thought-approximately "salvation" is extraordinarily much on no account pronounced. a greater potential is spoken approximately in quite ordinary, wide words and is not any longer the concentration. they do no longer draw from the Bible any further than from the different e book of fable or poetry.

• David
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

Why bother? So you can feel good about yourself?

Some people worship Creation, rather than the Creator. Just doesn't make any sense to me. The Atheists are smarter than that, and don't confuse immaturity of self-centeredness with worshiping self, or anything at all.

Simplify your life. Believe what the Bible says, literally, or dump it. Worship of nothing gets you nothing, wherein, you're back to atheism anyway.

• Eric
    Lv 6
    9 years ago

A belief-system in rebellion against God. It is a rejection of the Godhead, and is essentially whatever one wants it to be, with very few agreed upon "rules." Members may be quite spiritual but remain unredeemed in their sin. There is no power in their congregations and no power in whatever is sermonized each Sunday. It is a means to achieve the warm fuzzies on the inside each week.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

Diversity of beliefs. Which is scary, because Jesus said He was the ONLY way to heaven. Either He was telling the truth or He lied. It basically means "believe whatever you want" which is ridiculous.

• 9 years ago

Folks who need/want the comforts of a church without the responsiblity of choosing a god.

• 9 years ago

Most don't know anything about them.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

They serve some pretty good cookies and coffee after services

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.