Wong
Wong asked in HealthOther - Health · 9 years ago

Can the human body receive nutrition from food ingested rectally?

I'm wondering if the human body is able to receive nutrition and nourishment from food inserted anally or if it can only break down food properly if eaten orally. This is a serious question; I don't mean this as a joke.

Favorite Answer

You could. If the food managed to make it to the stomach but that would cause irreparable damage. But if you mean for it to only receive nutrition from inside the rectum then that is no. The anus lacks any way to absorb nutrition as it is not meant for that.

Both. I cook with nutrition and health in mind always. Even when I'm making treats, I'll bake with both taste and nutrition in mind, adding nuts, seeds, whole grains and fruit wherever possible. But once in awhile I'll prepare/eat something just because it tastes great, and I want it! Usually it's homemade candy, such as fudge. But even then, I'll add nuts to it. Percentage-wise... Probably 95-97 percent is in favour of nutrition.

I would assume that if you shoved it up far enough that it could eventually go through your large intestine moving to your small intestine and somehow end up in your stomach. When your stomach breaks down the food and nutrition it will go back down. The waste will probably combine with the fresh food and you will have a huge messy problem on your hands.

Playing the pro/con game here would be helpful in your dilemma.

I cannot see any benefit to eating with your anus though so the answer should be clear.

• Apex

The body can absorb Chemicals, Vitamins, Drugs, and Alcohol anally.

orally or intraveinously only

No. I remember in high school anatomy, a student asked something like that, and the only way anything can affect your body from insertion there, is either an aenama(however you spell it) or some form of a suppository drug...Drug effect's are different than energy the body get's nutritional value from. Theoretically you could stuff some LSD up there and get the exact same high as you would if the body was introduced to it another way....But as far as nutrition goes, it's anatomically impossible to be nourished in any way, because the human processing system and digestive system is not how you would say "Backwards compatible". Interesting query though :P

Source(s): Human biology.