Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 8 years ago

Can the landlord enter anytime to show my flat to the new customers as long as they give me 24 hours notice?

So my Tenency agreement a says " within the LAST TWO months of tenancy to permit the landlord or any person authorized by the landlord or the landlord's agent at reasonable hours in daytime to enter and view the property with prospective tenants or purchaser".

I know that they should give 24/ 48 hours notice before they can come to show my house to potential new custmers. But my questions are; Do I always have to agree as long as they give me a notice? and How often they can come in the last two months? I would like to let them in just 4 times in the last two months as I like to enjoy my privacy. Furthmore, my agency has been rude and very unprofessional with me and look only at their interests. So at least I would like to defend the benifts of enjoy my rent as much as I can at least but I would not like them to make me a legal action against me. Your suggestions , professional opinions and personal expereines are appreciated. Thank you.

p.s I am new to this country and I do not know much about English Laws and how to defend myself.

Favorite Answer

There are two conflicting rights in this situation.

Yes, the landlord does have the right to enter the property to view it's condition by giving you 24 hours notice. That is written in the 1985 Landlord and Tenant Act and also the 1988 Housing Act. In addition to this, you have already agreed that the landlord can enter the property in those last 2 months. The landlord *could* go to court and get a court order to make you give him access.

HOWEVER You have a right to 'quiet enjoyment' in common law, which means you must be allowed to enjoy (use) the property as if you owned it - i.e. you can refuse anyone entry.

Negotiation and co-operation is the solution. If you co-operate then the landlord will quickly find a replacement tenant and won't need to keep bothering you (they don't do it for fun). I would say to the agents that they can arrange visits for 2 specific times a week - say Wednesday evenings and Saturday mornings and that you will not accept visits at any other time.

You do, with 24 hours written notice, have a contractual obligation to let them come in. However, I'd suggest the appointments have to be at a mutually agreeable time, within normal working hours usually. And it's a mute point re whether you gave notice, or they did. And under what circumstances. Frankly we were given, unexpectedly and out of the blue, notice of an intention to sell the property we'd been in for over 13 years (rather than do any upgrading!). In that case I said I wasn't happy to have prospective purchasers over the property under the circumstances, although I agreed that the agents could come in to take photos etc. The owners of the property agreed to back off. This was a bit different however - most landlords would prefer to have a seemless change over, to avoid 'down time' for the property.

I think everybody is entitled to 'quiet enjoyment' of the property they are renting, so if this visiting becomes disruptive then I'd say so. You might take your issues, and the Lease, to your local Citizens Advice people, who will tell you your rights.

• Tavy

It is in your Contract which you have signed. The LL wants to relet the flat, so as long as he gives you the required notice you must let him in.

UK

You must let them in every time they provide 24 hours notice - you may be there, but your presence is not required, nor can you refuse entrance given proper notification.

No, you don't have a say in whether or not they enter the property. If they've given adequate notice, they can enter, how you feel about it is irrelevant.