Veterans and Police Departemnt?

Hi y'all, One enduring question I've been wanting to ask. Would a veteran with PTSD (honorable discharged with all valid paperwork) have a chance to serve his community without being rejected after the interviewing processes for the Police Academy? Rumors have been going around from various sources about... show more Hi y'all,
One enduring question I've been wanting to ask.
Would a veteran with PTSD (honorable discharged with all valid paperwork) have a chance to serve his community without being rejected after the interviewing processes for the Police Academy?
Rumors have been going around from various sources about such information. I really want to make this clear before making a decision whether should I give it a try for my hometown's city or keep on trying to go to graduate school for another 5 years (Note: I'm somewhat worn out from trying to keep my GPA above 3.6 for the past 4 years-about to graduate with a Bachelor. Reaching the age of 28, with a mentality of preferring hands-on work/job, I don't see myself being a college student for 5 more years, regardless of having great sources of reccomendation letters/records)
Serious answers only because I don't want to waste your time, nor the interviewing board of the PD from going through everything and just rejecting me as a candidate. Of course, I'd love to do SWAT if possible, since the career as an Army Infantryman with a goal of being a Rangers didn't work out after the rocket blast.
I appreciate the input, tips, hints.
Update: To addition to the answer below, I never took any of the buffet of meds the VA gave me for PTSD, due to the scare of being dependent. Therefore, I do my own self-therapy via music, motorcycle rides (safely and in a closed course) and not having any of suicidal/homicidal thoughts.
1 answer 1