Veterans and Police Departemnt?

Hi y'all,

One enduring question I've been wanting to ask.

Would a veteran with PTSD (honorable discharged with all valid paperwork) have a chance to serve his community without being rejected after the interviewing processes for the Police Academy?

Rumors have been going around from various sources about such information. I really want to make this clear before making a decision whether should I give it a try for my hometown's city or keep on trying to go to graduate school for another 5 years (Note: I'm somewhat worn out from trying to keep my GPA above 3.6 for the past 4 years-about to graduate with a Bachelor. Reaching the age of 28, with a mentality of preferring hands-on work/job, I don't see myself being a college student for 5 more years, regardless of having great sources of reccomendation letters/records)

Serious answers only because I don't want to waste your time, nor the interviewing board of the PD from going through everything and just rejecting me as a candidate. Of course, I'd love to do SWAT if possible, since the career as an Army Infantryman with a goal of being a Rangers didn't work out after the rocket blast.

I appreciate the input, tips, hints.

To addition to the answer below, I never took any of the buffet of meds the VA gave me for PTSD, due to the scare of being dependent. Therefore, I do my own self-therapy via music, motorcycle rides (safely and in a closed course) and not having any of suicidal/homicidal thoughts.

Favorite Answer

The best answer is to actually talk to someone in authority at the police department(s) that you are applying for.

In my opinion, it is not likely. When the veterans of my generation came home form Vietnam, many were eventually diagnosed with PTSD. However, many suffered for years with no diagnosis, or treatment. Lots of vets became police officers. Police applicants were not given psychological examinations as part of the pre-employment process back then, and lots of PTSD vets were hired. there are no statistics that will ever tell us how many of them were successful police officers or not.

What police officers experience in the course of a career frequently causes PTSD and its related illness, Cumulative traumatic Stress Disorder. In 40 years on the job, I have seen the worst horrors that you can imabine, every bit as bad as my war time exoeriences (maybe even worse, because it was happening to people who lived near where I lived). I have come close to being killed in several instaces, and lost friends whe were murdered on the job. I have made out pretty well, but I feel the strain sometimes.

When an active polcie officer suffers from PTSD, the department will usually try to make him/her "well" as much as possible. The department has invested time and money on this officer, and he/she represents a large, expensive pension pay out if forced to leave on disability. It is financially worth it for a department to try to fix a"broken" police officer. However, in order to minimize those problems, departements usually only wnat ot hire "unbroken" recruits. They don't need to hire people that start out with a potential to fail.

I just don't think it looks good for you. However, I could be worng.

Just as a word of caution, however, if yiuyr military experine resulted in PTSD, unless you work in Mayberry RFD, there is a fair chance your police career will aggravate it