Best portrait lens for canon 60D?

I shoot portraits. I have a studio that is about 20 feet front to back. I also shoot outdoors as well. My current lens are a 50m 1.4L and the lens that came with my camera is a 18-135mm . Up untill now I have done seniors , familys, childern are my main focus. I want to venture into weddings . I would like to have a lens that will do most without having to change lens. Since my camera has a 1.6 crop factor woudl a 70-200mm 2.8L IS usm be to much. Would I be able to shoot in my studio or only get head shots. I just think it would be nice to have for weddings. I am thinking for formals I could use my 50 mm. Or do you think the 70/200 would work for everything. That lens costs a fortune so I dont want to buy it if its not going to work out for my best interest. any advice on what to buy this year for my new lens .

Favorite Answer

You'll need two lenses and I have both on two different bodies. Get the 24-70 f2.8 and a 70-200 f2.8.

The other thing is that you will need a second body ... last thing you want is to have your one and only camera crap out on you mid shoot ... there are no do overs with weddings.

My advice is rent the two lenses for a week end (around 100$ rental in total) and try them out. You'll have a better idea after that.

A cheap solution is the EF 50mm f/1.8 which is the cheapest lens Canon sells, and by no means the worst in optical quality. On your camera it acts more like an 80-85mm on a film body.

Any good lens in the 35-60mm range will be a good short telephoto, "portrait" lens in traditional terms on APS-C . Of course ANY lens can be used for portraiture, depending on the effect you want and like....

For an all-in-one walkabout solution, it's really very hard to beat the new EF-S 15-85mm IS lens.

Regards

admin - www.imagecontests.com

70/200 would work better. I think that is what all the pros use from what I've seen. The 50 or 100mm would make it difficult to crop/focus unless you are studio distance only.

I would use the 70-200 2.8 IS zoom or the lighter 24-70 2.8 zoom. I prefer the 24-70 2.8 zoom because it's easier to handle due to its being lighter in weight. Observe.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/74398928@N00/67228891...