Anonymous

Is it unhealthy to wear socks for too long?

I don't mean the same pair, but say putting on socks in the morning, wearing them all day, then sleeping with them on so your feet don't get cold and then when you wake up, changing into a new pair of socks and repeating the cycle?

I've been doing this lately and I'm just wondering if it's ok, or is it possible that my skin could become agitated by the constant use, or if my feet will become so used to being in socks that they'll become colder easier?

Thanks in advance

Favorite Answer

First of all, your feet won't get cold any easier from wearing socks in this way. Your body doesn't work like that.

Wearing socks, in itself, is not likely to agitate your skin.

I guess the only potential problem is that your feet aren't getting much chance to breathe as you are likely to also be stuck in shoes for a number of hours during the daytime.

You probably like to take your shoes off when you get home after work or college. Maybe get rid of the socks as well and go barefoot during the evening. It just gives your feet the chance to breathe and stay dry. Put on some fresh socks on when you go to bed if you need the warmth.

Make sure your feet are thoroughly clean and dry before putting on shoes and socks in the morning.

Hope this helps.

• CB

I'm middle aged and have done this all my life. if your feet become sweaty during the day, put on a different pair of socks for sleeping.