Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 9 years ago

likelihood of getting a direct commission with no degree and only experience?

We all know becoming a civilian aviator or ship captain doesn't require a degree. Sure some pilots may do aviation in a 4 year university and some ship captains might have gone to one of the few maritime academies but there are ways two obtain both licenses without stepping foot in a college.

One of the skippers I met at a shipyard once said he moved up through the 'hawspipe' on a cargo ship (I am guessing thats a term used to mean moving up through the ranks as a seaman instead of going to the maritime academy and starting off as a mate)

And then I spoke to some pilots and they told me they only got a degree since the airplines preferred it but they were pilots for years before they stepped foot into a college.

So my question is can I take this route and receive a direct commission? I dont have much money and cant afford college but I do have my MMD and MSC is hiring. If I become a skipper before the age limit for direct commission do you think the Navy or CG will consider me.

Or if I save up 10k and get my private pilot license, will any branch consider me?

thanks

• Hayley
    Favorite Answer

No. Federal law says you must have a 4 year degree to commission into the US military.

The military can't break the law to let you through.

• Tryg

No. In almost every case you must have a baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited college or university to directly enter the service as commissioned officer. The only exceptions to the degree requirement are truly outstanding enlisted personnel who are selected to be "Mustang" officers, and individuals with substantial executive experience and political influence who may be direct commissioned into the reserves. In both of the cases you cite, as a licensed mariner engineer or deck officer or as a private pilot your best opportunity would be to enter the Army as a Warrant Officer. The Army does not require a college degree for either field. Most of the aviators in the Army are Warrants, and all of the officers aboard Army vessels--and yes the Army does have ships, a surprising number of them--are all Warrant Officers, including the Master.

Source(s): Retired Assistant Professor of Naval Science and Navy helicopter pilot
  • Wraeth

Zero. Direct Commissions today are ONLY granted to Doctors, Lawyers, and Clergy with advanced degrees. All branches require a minimum of a bachelors degree for a commission.

Civilian shipping or airliners maybe. US military branches no.

Source(s): US Army Scout

No- you used to be able to get a commission with out a college degree but this changed in the 1960's.

In the military you need a degree to be an officer if you are worried about money then go ROTC they give scholarships

• Mrsjvb

less than zero.

For a Direct commission you need at minimum the secondary degree in hand. and since you cannot GET experience without having a degree first...

DIRCOMS are for professionals: Doctors, Lawyers, Nurses and Clergy.

a normal commission requires a Bachelor's degree, period. civilian experience means nothing( and in some cases will HURT.. they DO NOT want civilian Aviators as they want you trained THEIR way form the get go )

• Daryl

If you join the Army as a helicopter maintainer you can set the course to become a helicopter pilot. Once you do your time in the Army as a Warrant Officer pilot you can get with the Coast Guard to transfer branches. Let the Army pay for your training.

• Marc

You could always hope for a battlefield commission…but seeing as how the last one of those occurred during the Vietnam War you probably shouldn’t hold your breath.