Trig homework help please, finding distance between cities?

Assume that the earth is a sphere of radius 4000 miles and that the cities are on the same longitude.

Dallas, TX has a latitude of 32°47'9"

Omaha, Nebraska is 41°15'42"

I converted each city into decimal form and I got…

Dallas: 32.786°

Omaha: 41.262°

What do I do from here? Clear steps would be lovely since my book doesn't explain how to do these types of problems.

And, I'm not lazy, I just don't have a clue of what to do from here.

• SB
    Favorite Answer

You need to calculate the arc length of a 4000 mile raduis arc with an angle equal to the difference between the lattitudes of the two cities

The angle is 41.262 - 32.786 = 8.476 deg

The arc length (d) is then found by setting up a ratio between the arc length and the circuference of the earth

2*pi*r / 360 = d / 8.476

d=2*pi*4000*8.476/360 = 591.74

And if you check the flight distance from DFW to OMA airports you get 583 miles. So the above number is at least reasonable.

Hope this helps.

Distance Between Texas Cities