Jehovah's Witnesses, can workers of iniquity receive praise from Jesus about their faith?

Matthew 8:5-13 relays an account where a Centurion soldier and commander is commended by Christ for his faith. In fact, Christ tells him that no one in Israel has faith as great as he does.

Historically, a Centurion was an officer of the Roman army who not only faught, but ordered others to fight. Is it possible to have such great faith and still serve in the military?

Why didn't Christ rebuke him for his deeds instead?

Update:

how then was the centurion benefited from this if Christ only commended him for partial faith? did Christ just leave him hanging then?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Well Linda, the Centurion might not have had the "truth" as you understand it, but he had Faith in Jesus.

He had Accurate Faith in Jesus being the "Son of God", not an "angel of god", as some sects teach today.

The first Gentile Christian was the Roman soldier "Cornelius",....and he WAS knowledgeable of the "truth". Explain that?

Jesus was looking for those with Faith in Him, not an organization, or works.....Faith.

"Anyone putting Faith in the SON of Man, and who Believes on Him will not perish, but have everlasting life".

So Yes, even persons living a sinful life, who recognizes Jesus as the only Way, Truth, and Life, has an opportunity to become a follower of Jesus Christ.

Excellent question, demonstrating the law of LOVE that our Lord Jesus operates by.

Jesus was not, and IS not "Legalistic", as is the pharisee patting you on the back, as he would a dog.

You are righteous in your interpretation of the Christ Nelson.

Teller of tales....yes, you describe a Jesus who did not judge men who were in the military, nor did He judge anyone incorrectly, but perfectly.

Had it been of any significance, the belonging to the "military" would have been brought out is scripture, not WT conjecture.

Jesus did not limit His Kingdom to only those that recognized His Father, as His Father was not the issue here...it was "Faith in Jesus" that was, and still IS the prime issue.

The issue is not "sovereignty", or "organizational loyalty", or any other claimed issue, but it is ONLY by Faith in Jesus as the Son of God that men can have any life......the true Gospel.

• Linda
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

The centurion did not have the truth and therefore could not be judged. He had only heard of Jesus and believed that he was the son of God. Jesus commended him for the part of the truth that he DID believe.

One who knew the truth would not join the military. One who was in the military when he learned the truth would get out of it as soon as possible. (You cannot just walk out. You are under legal contract )

Source(s): the bible
  • 8 years ago

Jesus showed love for people by looking for the good in them. Consider what happened when he met Nathanael, who later became an apostle. “Jesus saw Nathanael coming toward him and said about him: ‘See, an Israelite for a certainty, in whom there is no deceit.’” Miraculously, Jesus had looked into Nathanael’s heart, thereby learning much about him. Of course, Nathanael was far from perfect. He had his faults, as do all of us. In fact, when he heard about Jesus, he made a rather blunt remark: “Can anything good come out of Nazareth?” (John 1:45-51) However, of all the things that could be said about Nathanael, Jesus chose something positive to focus on, the man’s honesty.

Similarly, when an army officer—perhaps a Gentile, a Roman—approached and asked Jesus to cure an ailing slave, Jesus knew that the soldier had faults. An army officer of those days would likely have a past littered with many acts of violence, bloodshed, and false worship. Yet, Jesus focused on something good—the man’s outstanding faith. (Matthew 8:5-13) Later, when Jesus spoke to the evildoer who was hanging on the torture stake next to him, Jesus did not rebuke the man for his criminal past but encouraged him with a hope for the future. (Luke 23:43) Jesus knew well that taking a negative, critical view of others would only serve to discourage them. No doubt his efforts to find the good in others encouraged many to do even better.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

Because Charles Tate Russell and Satan forgot that verse when they were making the NWT bible

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 years ago

Your thinking is wrong.

Jesus entered the city of Capernaum, a kind of home base for his activities. Here older men of the Jews approached him with a request. They had been sent by an officer in the Roman army who was a Gentile.

The army officer’s beloved servant was about to die from a serious illness, and he wanted Jesus to heal his servant. The Jews earnestly pleaded on behalf of the officer: “He is worthy of your conferring this upon him,” they say, “for he loves our nation and he himself built the synagogue for us.”

Without hesitation, Jesus left with the men. However, when they got near, the army officer sent out friends to say: “Sir, do not bother, for I am not fit to have you come in under my roof. For that reason I did not consider myself worthy to come to you.”

What a humble expression for an officer who is accustomed to ordering others! But he was also probably thinking of Jesus, realizing that custom prohibits a Jew from having social connections with non-Jews. Even Peter said: “You well know how unlawful it is for a Jew to join himself to or approach a man of another race.”

Perhaps not wanting Jesus to suffer the consequences of violating this custom, the officer had his friends request him: “Say the word, and let my servant be healed. For I too am a man placed under authority, having soldiers under me, and I say to this one, ‘Be on your way!’ and he is on his way, and to another, ‘Come!’ and he comes, and to my slave, ‘Do this!’ and he does it.”

Well, when Jesus heard this he marvels. “I tell you the truth,” he says, “with no one in Israel have I found so great a faith.” After healing the officer’s servant, Jesus uses the occasion to relate how non-Jews of faith will be favored with blessings that are rejected by faithless Jews.

“Many,” Jesus said, “from eastern parts and western parts will come and recline at the table with Abraham and Isaac and Jacob in the kingdom of the heavens; whereas the sons of the kingdom will be thrown into the darkness outside. There is where their weeping and the gnashing of their teeth will be.”

“The sons of the kingdom . . . thrown into the darkness outside” are natural Jews who do not accept the opportunity offered first to them of being rulers with Christ. Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob represent God’s Kingdom arrangement. Thus Jesus is relating how Gentiles will be welcomed to recline at the heavenly table, as it were, “in the kingdom of the heavens.”

As l said- your thinking was flawed...

One thing l will commend you on... you sought out an answer from Jehovah's Witnesses leading me to draw the conclusion that you TRUST their answers as apposed to all the others out there.

Give yourself a pat on the back.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.