Anonymous

How does a disabled person make friends?

I'm really struggling with my post traumatic stress disorder, the professionals who are supposed to help don't even care about you.

Everything scares me, college, work, people... I don't know what to do, or where to turn.

Sometimes all I know how to do is cry. Because I havent had friends in 3 years.

Anyone have advice?

I'm not a war veteran, I am on social security which doesn't even relate to the topic... And no I am NOT "faking it" and I can't "suck it up."

I'm thinking about going to the hospital for this ****. It's serious.

Favorite Answer

My situation is pretty similar to yours and I still haven't found appropriate help. I also suffer from post traumatic stress disorder due to childhood abuse and mistreatment from society. I don't see professionals because I don't have health insurance. I understand how you feel. The system has always been a joke and many professionals aren't helpful at all.

I'm 27 and I haven't had any friends in 7 years. I became honest to myself after I realized that I always wanted genuine friendships. I prefer to be alone (no matter no hard and painful it is) than have fake friends. Although I'm in a university and surrounded by a lot of people, I still have a hard time finding friends that actually understand my condition and accept me for who I am. Being lonely is really killing me as I feel depressed whenever I see young people have a social life and enjoying their youth while I can't do any of that. Students in my classes are judgmental and they usually gossip about me without getting to know me first.

• Blink

So-called professionals can be a joke most of the time. That includes that stupid Dr. Phil that is more about political correctness, pushing new age stuff, and serving the wealthy than doing much good in reality and for the general public.

You need to have a counselor hook you up with a support dealing with only PTSD, period. If you are a veteran they have such groups at VA hospitals and some clinics. At least you are aware of your problem, many are not. Many turn to dope, alcohol, or allow doctors to over-medicate the heck out of them which is also a bad thing, but many think just to push pills and profit is the name of the game. You can also try online support groups for starters too.

It is hard for me to make fiends too, I am handicapped so I don't acted normal, I act more like a child, and it's very hard on me and very embarrassing. I am always thinking if a person really likes me or not, I am shy, nervous and scared around people sometimes but mostly boys (men) but I am getting that way with girls (women) too. I think I am also getting depressed just because I don't have any friends, I also haven't had any friend for about 11 years, when I say friends I mean friends that will do things with you, hang out with you, be silly with and just to have fun with, I am so lonely for a friend that I don't know what to do. Once in a while someone will remember me and do something with me but not very often though.

I had surgery and lots of people don't talk to me, either. If you are really troubled, you may qualify for SSI, but remember there are a lot of people who are actually physically disabled and might need it more than you. If you have a problem with stress, you should try to do something that is more quiet. Like if you're a nurse you should get a job at a restaurant instead, or something like that, where you blend in more with others. But if you're seeking attention, I would just suck it up. You can go to work and school without making friends.

you should leave that post traumatic stress disorder thing behind. Maybe you just haven't learned what it means to be alone, you can't get people to care about you and you can't "make" friends I always say. Becoming friends should be natural and the more you know yourself, the less you condemn yourself for the way you actually are, the more you will be yourself and therefore life becomes free. Don't feel alone were all in this life together we all share the exact same pains, surrows, burning loneliness, it's all the same for everyone. It starts with you, don't escape from who you are, and a lot may be revealed

• Smitty

You need a support system through your family, peer advocate groups. Go online and look for support groups of other people who suffer the same condition and attend the groups.

Online.

You want real friends go to the Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses. You will find lots of people who will really care about you. It worked for me. There meetings never cost you anything. Last just two hours. Can leave when ever you want. They never look down on you.

Try to get hold of old friends or join a club.

• ?

look for people who think like you. check for diabetes. low blood sugar causes problems.