FILM STUDENTS - Citizen Kane question?

I have to write a paper based on this question:

Watch the film: Citizen Kane, which offers another example given to us in chapter 2 re: narrative. Pick two or three scenes which illustrate the statement in paragraph 4, p.42:

"Kane stands at the very fringe of classical hollywood cinema and draws much of its power from its violation of the codes and conventions that audiences take for granted when they go to the movies."

I DON'T UNDERSTAND THIS QUOTE. I don't know what to write because I have no clue what it's talking about...could anybody give me an example?

Please don't waste my time with dumb answers. Thanks.

Favorite Answer

i believe that this question is asking for you to explain the impact citizen kane had on cinema, by contextualising it with generic conventions and such at the time. so you might need examples of other films at the time of similar genre or you could write about the visceral cinematography, as that was quite groundbreaking at the time. i hope that helps in some way. :P