Can I bake brownies in a casserole dish?

I want to make brownies today but I don't have a metal pan, but I do have a glass casserole dish that is the same size as the metal pan (13"x9") that I have (but cannot find). It says its safe to cook in the oven. And it's not Pyrex.

The instructions on the box says that "For metal and glass pan preheat oven at 350 degrees F" but I read somewhere online that you need to lower the temp by 25 degrees for glass pans because they heat up faster than metals.

This is a stupid question but should I bake the brownies in the glass pan at 350'F or 325'F?

Favorite Answer

I would say 325 becuase even if that isn' true, metal expands when it is heated (VERY LITTLE THOUGH) so you will want to cook it a slightly bit longer.

You can bake the brownies at either temp and just adjust the time.

350F is fine and you will watch at the end for a light crust on the top and just cook the brownies until a tooth pick put in the middle is clean when you pull it out. Remove the brownies at that point and cool on a cooling rack.

Cooking them at 325F would take just a little longer but the results will be the same in this case.

The brownies continue cooking after they are on the cooling rack so don't leave them in the oven longer than you have to.

Source(s): Life long cook, baker and I work in a grocery store bakery.

Yes you can use a glass casserole dish, look at it this way as long as it says it's oven safe your good to go and if you would use something for cooking in you can pretty well cook anything in it. Good luck with your brownies

Richard M

Source(s): I have used glass for brownies before and they turned out great.

That will work great. Cook @ 325 of course and don't forget to grease the bottom (only) of the dish with butter.

If it is oven proof it will be fine. There are all kinds of oven proof names. I bake mine in glass all the time at 350 F.

yes as long as the glass pyrex can go in the stove.i do it to with aluminum pans the cheap ones in the dollars store.then you dont have to scub any thing just trow out.

Cook it until it is done.