Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDental · 9 years ago

Flap of gum over wisdom tooth hurts?

I have a flap of gum over my right bottom wisdom tooth, and it's in the way of my upper tooth, so I can't help but chew on it when I talk and eat. now it's really swollen and hurts like a son of a *****. Numbing it doesn't work, and taking pain medicine doesn't help a whole lot. My right cheek is semi swollen, and it's kinda hot in my mouth. I clean my mouth very well, its just that flap of gum that is hanging by loosely cause of my wisdom tooth growing in and pushing the gum away. I don't know what to do about it, i've asked my mom if I can go to the dentist but she said they wouldn't be able to much with this. It's not my tooth, cause my tooth feels fine, it's the piece of gum on top of it. Help D:

idk how to heal it, idk how to get rid of the pain, D:

Favorite Answer

You have pericoronitis.

When the flap of tissue (called an operculum), traps food debris and bacteria under it, you get a bacterial infection with swelling and pain - like you have - called pericoronitis.

You do need to see the dentist, because this is a bacterial infection and will respond to antibiotics. He also might be able to clean it out a bit.

If your wisdom tooth is going to be partially erupted, and never make it completely into the mouth, this problem can recur. Your dentist will take an x-ray to see if it looks like the tooth will remain partially impacted, or if it has a chance to erupt normally. If it looks like it will stay impacted, your best bet would be to have it extracted once the infection clears up.

Until you can see the dentist, take Advil for pain, and for its anti-inflammatory properties. Rinse your mouth very frequently - especially after you eat - with very warm salt water. Don't burn yourself, but it should be really warm - 1 teaspoon of salt in a glass of water.

I am enclosing 2 links below - one shows the operculum and how it caused the problem, and the other is to an article on pericoronitis. Show them to Mom - she does need to get you to the dentist.

***Good luck - feel better soon!

• ammon

Wisdom Tooth Gum Flap

• Kelly

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/72Dsn

keep it clean Bacteria growing under your gums causes inflammation. The pain as you have mentioned is caused by inflamation of the gums around your wisdom tooth. You may have the added problem of when it swells your opposite teeth bite on it! then it swells from being bitten(not always though) The only way to prevent it is to keep it really clean.. I'd advise trying to gently jiggle your toothbrush bristles into the space between your gum and your tooth when you brush regularly to reduce the inflammation. Other than that, you might want to try savacol Mouthwash, it has chlorhexadine in it which can help kill some of the bad bacteria which is causing the swelling in the first place. if that don't work maybe if you could get your hand on a syringe of some sort to squirt savacol under your gum might help. Sometimes if you can keep it clean all the time your gums won't hurt and you may not need them out. Alternatively you either need the tooth out, or the other option is to cut away the gum covering your tooth..

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Flap of gum over wisdom tooth hurts?

I have a flap of gum over my right bottom wisdom tooth, and it's in the way of my upper tooth, so I can't help but chew on it when I talk and eat. now it's really swollen and hurts like a son of a *****. Numbing it doesn't work, and taking pain medicine doesn't help a whole lot....

Source(s): flap gum wisdom tooth hurts: https://bitly.im/HVpCf

Stop Infections Heal Teeth - http://dentalbook.uzaev.com/?vGrP

Your bottom right 3rd Molar that is known as "Number 8" (The "Wisdom" tooth) is probably trying you break through the gum. GO TO THE DENTIST. If your mom refuses to take you report her to child protection services for neglect. GO TO THE DENTIST IN ANY EVENT - GET A TEACHER OR SOMEBODY. Get your mom into trouble for being such a horrible person.