WHY EMPLOYER DIDN'T TAKE OUT FEDERAL TAXES?

MY WIFE CAME HERE TO THE UNITED STATES IN 2010 AND WERE MARRY IN 2010. MY WIFE'S FIRST JOB HERE IN THE STATES WAS AT BURGERKING WHICH SHE HAD ONLY WORKED 2 DAYS PER/WEEK AND ONLY 4 HOURS EACH OF THE DAYS. BURGERKING DOESN'T GIVE OUT PAYCHECKS, INSTEAD THEY GIVE THEIR ASSOCIATES A MONEY CARD WHICH IF THEY CALL THE 800 NUMBER, IT WILL TELL YOU HOW MUCH YOU HAD MADE NET. MY WIFE GOT HER W-2 FORM FROM BURGERKING AND NOTICE THAT NO FEDERAL TAXES WERE TAKEN OUT. ALL THE OTHER TAXES WERE TAKEN OUT EXCEPT FOR THE FEDERAL. ALL TOTAL, BEFORE SHE QUIT BURGERKING, SHE HAD MADE UNDER 700.00 DOLLARS GROSS INCOME. DOES ANYONE KNOW WHY THERE WAS NO FEDERAL TAXES TAKEN OUT. IS IT BECAUSED SHE HAD MADE UNDER $700.00 DOLLARS SINCE SHE HAD BEEN WORKING THERE. THANK YOU

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

its not the employer it what she wrote on her w4 form... she simply hasn't made enough

• 9 years ago

When she filled out the w-4 for the job she probably put a high amount of dependents if you put 6 or more nothing is going to be taken out

• 9 years ago

Common practice when an employer knows that the employee is in a low tax bracket.

• tro
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

yes, because her gross was so small, working the few hours she did, that no income taxes were r'qd to be withheld

there are minimum amounts of gross and depending on the person' status, ie. married, that no income taxes are r'qd to be withheld

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

She wrote ''EXEMPT'' In the Exempt box when she filled out the application for employeement

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.