Jade asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 9 years ago

What does "muharram" mean in Afghanistain...?

In the book now I am translating (from English to Chinese), it doesn't sound like the name of a certain kind of holiday/date.....

In the book, it talks about a woman who is in a hurried to pop in a taxi, folllowing the other car where his husband is in (he is under arrest from the Taliban). When she would like to get on, the taxi driver asks, "Sister, do you have a muharram with you? You need to have a muharram with you or the people you follow see you alone with me, they will put us both in jail."

I couldn't find the meaning of nuharram here...Please kindly help! Thanks!

Favorite Answer

I think that this is a misprint and that the correct word is "mehram". Read this article and you will see that it falls into the context beautifully. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/ind...

The word "Muharram" means "Forbidden." Even before Islam, this month was always known as a scared month in which all unlawful acts were forbidden, prominently the shedding of blood.There are many bounties of this month, especially on 10th of Muharram.On this day he who spends more lavishly for the sake of his family members, Allah Ta'aalaa will bestow blessing upon the sustenance of the following year. Hope i helped :]

Different translations of the bible would suggest love and charity are synonmus. Examples found in.1st Corrinthians ch. 13 vs. 1-17 illustrate this many times. I would enjoy hearing from a scholar of the languages used in those past times to clarify my understanding. The story of the "World's Poorest Philanthropist", Gilbert "Harold" Ewing II (myself) is the reason for this querry. The " act of grace", or charity, reffered to in the news interview, has posited this question and I lack the sort of education to provide any insights of true value.