Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsHorses · 9 years ago

Learning to canter!!!?

I have developed a strong sitting trot and my posting finally feels natural. My instructor says its time to start cantering! when I ask for the canter, the horse pops into it. she has a very very rocky hard to sit canter. when I ask for the canter by moving my foot slightly behind the girth, I feel like I'm going to lose my balance when she pops into the canter. then I panic and brace myself and wind up going to forward. my instructor says we will work on the lung line but I was wondering if anyone has any advice for me.

Favorite Answer

You'll be fine with practice and if you listen to your instructor. Nobody sits perfectly when they try a new gait for the first time. Just try to apply what you learned at the sitting trot. Relax your hips into the horse and move with him. Try to relax. Your tension will make it harder to sit. You need to be supple in order to move with the horse and not get bounced around. The more you practice cantering, the more you will become familiar with the gait, how it feels and how you're supposed to move your body in order to maintain a steady seat. It will come in time, don't worry!

I think I would try the lunge line with the instructor. The you could hold the saddle or the base of the mane for stability. When you try to go into the canter do you go at it really quickly or do you gather your trot up and then ask for it. (it is easier to go into canter from a slower more gathered trot). You will be fine I remember riding a friends pony who had a rocking horse like canter.. you just have to get used to it! x <3

When i first started cantering i was exactly the same, i was stiff and tensed up meaning i leant forward, all you have to do is ask for canter and sit to it, relax your body and move with the horse it does take a bit of getting used to but you will realise after a few times at doing it you will get used to it and be more relaxed about going into canter

Hope this helped xx

• zakiit

A poor workman blames his tools - and in this case it is you blaming your horse!

The secret is not to brace or grip with your legs, sit up tall and ask at a corner and your horse sounds very obliging and will go when asked. Keep a contact with the outside rein slightly higher to control the speed, while taking more of a feel with the inside rein to get the correct bend and therefore lead.

Lungeing in canter is a very good idea as the instructor can control the horse while you have some time to correct your position and seat, swinging with your hips to the movement and getting a feel for what is going on underneath you!

Source(s): Riding instructor

well when i started cantering i was only 5 so i rode double with my trainer who got the canter and then i just had to sit basically(no steering or anything) i thought that was a pretty good way to go at it but what i tell my students to do is think of your body in two parts the upper half and lower half keep your upper half stiff but let your lower half move with the horse. also i recently rode an appaloosa who is literally nicknamed pogo as in pogo stick. all it turned out to be is that her natural canter is fast and if you let her get faster its a million times easier to sit :)

Source(s): myself

i know how it feels to ride a horse with a rocky gait. my trainer made ssure i could handle the trot and then she said i was ready to canter. i started on the lung line and once i found out how to sit and get to know her canter i was ready to do it on my own. just listen to your trainer and put your trust in their hands. you shouldnt freak out while on the horse they know when you feel scared so they wont go into the canter when you tell them.

Source(s): life experiences with horses and training