Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsRodents · 9 years ago

Is my rats ready for breeding?

I really want to breed rats i have two girls and they are like 6 months are they old enough for breeding or do you think i should wait?

Favorite Answer

Yes, this is old enough. The better question to ask, is are you ready for breeding? Do not take this wrong, but since you did not know the answer to this question, I think it would be safe to say that you need to do more research before breeding. Breeding rats is so much more than just throwing a male and female together. It is very important that you take into account the temperament, health, and even beauty of the rats. These are all very important aspects when breeding rats, because this is what people look for when they purchase rats. Unless you are planning on keeping all of the babies, you want to create a rat that will make a perfect pet for people. Breeding rats requires great responsibility. It can be very rewarding, but it can be a lot of hard work and unexpected things can happen. I have been breeding rats for many years, and just last month my rat had a full litter of still born babies. It was very heart breaking, but its something that can happen from time to time. Simply going to Google and searching "rat breeding" or "breeding rats" will provide you with a lot of great information. Once you are fully prepared, and have picked good breeding stock you can begin to breed. If you have any breeders in your area to mentor you, that would also be beneficial to you. It really depends on why you are breeding. Perhaps you want to start your own Rattery, or maybe its just something you want to try for fun. It is very cool watching the "miracle of life" in action, whatever reason you just want to make sure you are prepared for anything. Good luck!!

Source(s): Long time rat owner and hobby breeder.

Although the age of sexual maturity can differ greatly between different species of Rats, it is relatively safe to say that a a Rat of at least 4 months will be capable of breeding.

Hope this helps