Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsFish · 9 years ago

What fish can I keep in a tank with these dimensions: 82cm x 44cm x 51cm?

I have a new fish tank, 82cm long, 44cm deep and 51cm tall, and I was wondering what I could stock in it. I would like something unusual which I have not kept before, which means I cannot turn it into a peaceful tropical community tank.

I would like to be able to keep cichlids in this tank, but I have very little experience with any cichlids besides Convicts. What species of cichlid (preferably Central or South American) would thrive in this tank?

Please quote sources, even if said source is just your own experience.

Thanks in advance

Favorite Answer

That's a good size tank. I would recommend doing a tropical semi-aggressive tank. You can get some really cool fish and this will be more challenging than a peaceful tropical community tank but won't be too hard for you. You could get a red tail shark, a group of tiger barbs, etc. There are a lot of choices if you go this route. However, if you want to do a Cichlid tank, fifty gallons gives you some room to play around. Here are some possible groups:

1. African cichlid aquarium (30 gallons/ 120 L)

1 pair of kribs (P. pulcher)

1 pair of African butterflycichlid (A. Thomasi)

1 pair of Egyptian mouth-brooder (P. miúlticolor)

4 ancistrus (plecos)

2. Central American aquarium (30 gallons/ 120 L):

1 pair of Archocentrus sajica

1 pair of convicts (A. nigrofasciatus)

2 hypostomus (plecos)

3. Amazon aquarium (50 gallons/ 200 L):

4 Scalare ( P scalare)

1 pair of A curviceps

1 pair of A Maronii

6 ancistrus (plecos)

Tank setup:

1. African cichlid aquarium

All of these species are relatively friendly and have different behaviours that will reduce stress between the different pairs. These species prefer a well planted aquarium and leaves your plates alone so you can use all sorts of plants. They also require hiding and spawning places. Kribs spawn in caves which can be created using roots, rocks and flowerpots. A. Thomasi spawns on flat surfaces such as rocks. You will have to leave free areas without plants and rocks to create swimming space and allow you to se your fish more often. Use fine sand as this promotes spawning of Egyptian mouth-brooders. If you just keep the aquarium clean and your fishes well feed they will thrive and spawn in this aquarium. If you find your aquarium a little empty you can add some small schooling fish such as tetras too the higher waters regions.

2. Central American aquarium

The species in this setup are more aggressive which explains why I only recommend keeping two species in this tank. Both species lay their eggs on rocks so caves aren’t that necessary but I would still recommended that you create a few as hiding places as these species can be quite aggressive. This is especially true when they are spawning and caring for their young. A sajica usually leaves your plants alone, but convicts often eat plants so I recommended using more hardy plants such as sword plants, anubias and java fern if you want to use plants. Whether to keep plants or not are completely up to the aquarist. The cichlids will thrive with or without plants as long as you provide a few hiding places. Both species are very easy to breed and it is almost impossible to keep convicts from spawning. Fry can be very hard finding new homes for so I recommend letting the parents keep their young and se if any survives. In this aquarium some usually will.

3. Amazon aquarium

As I said earlier, its preferable if this aquarium is at least 50 gallons/ 200 L since these fishes get a little bigger. Scalares shouldn’t be kept in aquariums that are less then 50 cm/ 20 inches high. These species are still easy to care for but require a little more from their keeper too spawn. The aquarium should be well planted with free areas for the fish to swim on. Use large sword plant or cryptocoryne species to give the scalares what they need to spawn. The other species requires roots or rocks to spawn on. Caves are not necessary but preferable, especially for A curviceps. If you find this aquarium a little bit empty you might add some free-swimming schooling fish to the aquarium. Never use neon tetras with scalares as scalares like to eat them. The same is true for a number of other small tetras. If you keep the water clean and the fish well feed they will thrive and with a little bit of luck, spawn.