Can my friend sue me for signing his checks, using his credit card and opening his mail correspondence?

He asked me for help on his financial responsibilities. When his mail gets home I pick it and open it since he told me so, yet I only open up summary statements but personal letters. Additionally, I was supposed to sign (under his name) checks and send them where they are supposed to. Moreover, I used his credit card for paying things such as his car's service and his flying tickets-- everything under his authorization. All his payments are up to date(cellphone, credit cars, home loan, car loan, insurance, electricity, etc).

We had an argument and he warned me onto sue me because of that. I won't deny the fact that I did all the things mentioned but I never abused the confidence that he put on me. I always consulted him and informed him about every single payment to be done and letter to be opened. I stress again all of this with his previous verbal consent.

Favorite Answer

Anybody can sue anybody for anything.

The question is, can he do it successfully and get a judgement against you.

I don't think so.

"Forgery is the process of making, adapting, or imitating objects, statistics, or documents with the intent to deceive." You did not do this.

Tell him to take care of his own bills and get the heck out of there.

• sammi

(I don't have any definite legal advice). As far as I know, if he accuses you of this he would have to prove you his money for you. You helping him take care of his bills is actually fairly easy to prove. He would have to prove you weren't spending the money on that. So, I would assume he would need to gather paystubs (signs of income) and his bills/bank statements. There is a paper trail for all of this (like the checks you filled out should be available) to prove what you were doing. If he actually goes through with it, get yourself an attorney to help you get the necessary documentation.

Unless there is some contractual agreement that you can demonstrate that allows you to do what you have been doing, then you may be considered to have committed a felony.

verbal consent is a tough one to prove. you are in a very dangerous legal situation. verbal consent would not normally be enough to allow you to sign checks in his place. all of those checks are not legally binding on him, since he never signed them and there is no documentation allowing you to do so in his place. I am surprised the bank let them through, to be honest.

Tell him to deal with all his finances himself in Future, and if he wants to sue you, then go ahead. The court does recognise verbal contracts.

Technically, even with permission, you have committed forgery. However, you were given express permission to manage his financial affairs and committed no malfeasance, so I would think it highly unlikely that a D.A. would charge you with any crime. Rest easy.

Next time get his WRITTEN consent with his signature. Ot would help if you had witnesses of this. Business is business.

in the US, he can sue, but would lose the case and be responsible for the attorney's fees -- yours too if you countersued claiming that his suit was baseless.

explicit permission and use for his benefit alone would trump any other detail in the case.

Source(s): grampa

If he knew 'before the fact', he won't succeed in trying to sue you.

He could if you guys didn't have like a contract or something that you both sign saying that it was fine

What a dick! I'm sure if no monies went missing and there was no sign of theft, and you didn't benefit at all from this you will be ok.